FEMNET is a pan-African regional women’s rights network that has been in existence since 1988 and has been at the forefront championing gender equality, equity and women’s rights through delivery of critical information, and strengthening linkages and collaboration among women’s rights organizations.
To consolidate her work and move to the next level, FEMNET with financial support from Sida and other partners, is seeking to recruit suitable persons on a 3-year renewable full time contract in the following vacant positions to be based at the Secretariat in Nairobi – Kenya.
Finance Officer – Accounting and Reporting
Ref: FNT-FO 2018
Functionally Reports to: Finance HR and Admin. Manager
The Overall Purpose of the job: Accountable for all aspects of financial and management accounting, and donor reporting. The person will be expected to prepare financial statements and audit schedules in line with applicable International Standards (IAS, ISA, IFRS, IPSAS), and other generally accepted practices.
Main Duties Include:
Financial, Management Accounting and Control
- Support the Finance HR and Admin. Manager in ensuring full compliance with policies & procedures, particularly around cash, advances, banking and assets.
- Being the main data entry person into the accounting system to produce periodic and end of year Income and expenditure, financial position, cash flows, fully reconciled bank reconciliations etc;
- Professionally draft multi-year organisational and specific programme activity budgets.
- Support in safeguarding of the assets of the organisation, including the maintenance of the Fixed Asset register
- Support finance and admin. department in its function as procurement focal centre, to drive the implementation of procurement policies and plans, aimed at cost effective acquisition of high quality materials, goods, consultancies and non-consultancy services;
- Producing monthly and quarterly actual v budget (variance) analysis and other management information that may be required from time to time,
- Preparing cash forecasts to identify monthly funding requirements
- Contributing on operational and strategic issues as a member of the Finance and Admin. Team.
- Ensure compliance with all financial reporting and forecasting requirements of donors and others, and ensuring the smooth flow of funds from funding sources.
- Ensure expenditure are incurred and reported in line with contractual agreements;
- Provide financial guidance and supervision to staff that might be assigned to work under him/her including interns, with regards to donor reporting
Administration, Logistics, Legal and Statutory Compliance
- Ensuring transactions processed fully comply with host country- Kenyan laws and regulations
- Assisting Finance HR and Admin. Manager in identifying and implementing financial, legislative and /or statutory changes that may affect the organisation’s operations
- Undertaking any other duties that might, from time to time, be assigned;
- Making capital investment decisions using the most popular methods (ARR, PP, NPV, IRR);
- Carrying out Cost -Volume-Profit analysis through deep understanding of Fixed and stepped fixed costs, variable and semi variable costs and the relationships between the costs, volume and profit;
- Carrying out Break-even analysis and associated risk analysis (doing marginal analysis for short term decisions, operating gearing etc) for pricing decisions, efficiency in use of resources –limiting factor, closing or continuing operations etc.
Required Knowledge Skills and Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree (B.com accounting option or any other business, accounting or economics related discipline), from a recognized reputable university;
- Must be a fully qualified accountant (CPA, ACCA, CMA), with at least 3 years post qualification experience in a busy organization;
- Experience in a similar position at an international or regional Not-for-Profit organization deep working knowledge in NGO accounting and reporting is required;
- Must have hands on experience in use of networked common accounting and/or ERP, on-premise or cloud based systems, using QuickBooks, Sun system, oracle etc;
- Fully understands and applies relevant and irrelevant costs for decision making;
- Conversant with Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA);
- Assessing risks using sensitivity analysis approach especially using margin of safety for the relevant factors, and scenario building (for more than one factor);
- Resilient person- able to maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitments, motivation and energy.
Remuneration: will be in line with the organization’s set scales, which consider qualifications, experience, and delivery by a candidate.
Interested applicants are requested to send to the Executive Director; their CVs with 3 referees (two of whom must be professional), salary expectations with a 1 page application cover letter explaining why they are best fit for the relevant position by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the reference of the position you are applying for on the subject line e.g. Capacity Building Officer – (Ref: FNT-CBO 2018).
Deadline for submission of applications is on Monday 5th February, 2018.
Eligibility: The applicants for the positions of Finance Officer, Member Liaison Officer, HR and Admin Assistant must be Kenyan Nationals or persons with Kenyan work permits. The other two positions are open to African citizens.
Please note: Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only candidates who have been selected for interview will be contacted, no telephone inquiries, canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.