Action Africa Help International (AAH-I)
Kenya Country Programme
Job Opening: Finance Assistant – Kakuma
Action Africa Help International (AAH-I) is a regional African-led non-governmental organisation that supports livelihood-challenged communities in East and Southern Africa to sustainably improve their well-being and standard of living.
With Country Programmes in South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda, Zambia and recently in Djibouti, AAH-I has over 25 years’ experience working with communities in conflict and post-conflict situations, including refugees, internally displaced people and host communities.
More recently AAH-I has expanded its activities to work with other marginalised communities, including pastoralists and people living in informal urban settlements.
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports to: Finance & Admin Officer
Liaises with: Accounts Assistant AAH Kenya, Finance and Admin Manager AAH Kenya, Admin Assistant Kakuma, Assistant Admin Officer AAH-I
Duty Station: Kakuma
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant will mainly be responsible for all financial functions in Kakuma, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management.
In addition he or she will be responsible for compliance with project financial and accounting processes in the field location and be responsible for creating, reviewing, updating and enforcing the project’s financial policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation and consolidation of donor financial reports for the location, meet the requirements for regular reporting set by the donor, ensuring completeness, timeliness and accuracy.
- Support the budget preparation and budget review efforts through provision of information during the budget preparation and review processes.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports and ensure they are submitted on time.
- Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis.
- Support the FAO in cash planning through preparation of monthly call downs.
- Support the FAO in ensuring that project finance policies and procedures are understood by all field staff.
- Monitor project budget lines and ensure spending is within the budget.
- Facilitate availability of cash for activities through maintaining a petty cash system.
- Reconciliation of the Revolving Loan fund on a monthly basis.
- Track all staff accountabilities and communicate for recovery on defaults sent to HR payroll system.
- Accuracy and adequate documentation and approval of financial expenditure before processing.
- Payment of Incentive staffs salaries and casual wages as per their due dates (proper documentation and authorisation observed)
- Financial expenditure is in compliance with Donor contract requirements.
- Complete and accurate PASTEL data and reports.
- Cash flow forecasts, statements and bank reconciliations available on a monthly basis.
- The Project Accounting procedures are adhered to and followed through
- The petty cash book is well handled, and electronic cash book well maintained for all physical cash on hand and in respect of cash management agreement.
- All payment vouchers and other financial documents are well filed and kept in safe custody.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Commerce degree ( Finance or Accounting option).
- CPA II certificate.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar role preferably with an INGO.
- Computer literacy skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Willingness to work and stay in the project area and manage long distance relationships.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good planning and organization skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet required deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems, crisis and conflict arising in the work environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Interested candidates should email application letters and CVs (with 3 referees) addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org to be received by 27 January, 2018.
The email Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for.
AAH-K is an equal-opportunity employer.
We thank candidates for their high interest in the opportunities we publish on our website.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only get back to shortlisted candidates.
AAH-K does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.