Job Title: Accountant
Reports to: Finance Manager
Department: Clinical Operations
Job Summary: This position is responsible for the maintenance of the general ledger and preparation of final books of accounts.
This holder of this position is accountable for the timely preparation of monthly journal entries and the reconciliation of the accounts and related schedules.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing accurate and timely management accounting reports and business performance data.
- Coordinating the preparation of accurate and up-to date financial and management accounting information to facilitate decision making.
- Establishing and maintaining effective internal control systems and procedures.
- Maintaining robust cash handling and banking procedures.
- Designing and implementing effective systems of monitoring performance against budget.
- Identifying significant budget variances and possible remedial action.
- Producing divisional and corporate forecasts for income and expenditure on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Providing relevant and timely monthly statements, reports and reconciliations together with appropriate interpretation and advice for the Senior Management Team.
- Ensuring effective cash flow and treasury management.
- Liaising with the external auditors and managing the annual audit process
Primary / Operational Duties
- Maintenance of General Ledger, Accounts Analysis, Reconciliations and Review of the Trial Balance
- Ensure that all the Hospital’s bank and cash accounts are reconciled on a monthly basis and that outstanding items are followed up and cleared.
- Maintenance of the Fixed Assets Register
- Preparation & Input of Journal Entries in the system with the approval of the Finance Manager
- Preparation of management report for both internal and external reporting.
- Compilation of information and preparation of schedules required by internal and independent auditors for assigned areas of responsibility
- Ensure accurate and timely month-end closing tasks that include, account analysis, reconciliations, accruals, journal entries, actual to forecast variance analysis etc.
- Assisting in the improvement in internal controls related to inventory and monitoring inventory transactions
- Reconciling inventory accounts to the general ledger
- Analyzing inventory cost variances and other accuracy issues impacting perpetual inventory records
- Assist with planning, execution, reconciliation and reporting of physical inventory counts
- Ensure all incoming and out-going invoices are settled on time
- Ensure the company complies with all PAYE, VAT, Tax return and financial reporting requirements
- Perform day-to-day accounting functions
- Any other responsibility assigned by the Finance Manager
- Bachelor of Commerce degree majoring in accounting or its equivalent.
- CPA(K) or ACCA.
- Minimum five (5) years progressive working experience
- Experience in healthcare industry is an added advantage
- At least two (2) years’ experience in an audit firm
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Excellent analytics and experience with financial statements, QuickBooks, and Excel
- Proficient in accounting software applications and use of ERP.
- Highly resourceful, independent, and self-starting
- Ability to communicate findings compellingly to colleagues and advisors
- Interest in global health
- Expert knowledge of accounting, auditing, financial and management reporting.
- Experience in auditing would be an added advantage
- Effective leadership skills
- Results and detail oriented
- Easy-going enough to work in a fluid start up environment in Nairobi