Kenya Medical Research Institute
KEMRI –CCR PHRD (Thika) clinical trials Project is currently looking for a motivated individual to fill in the following position:
Fiscal and Administration Manager
To be based in Thika
Job Purpose: The Fiscal and Administration Manager will provide administration and management of grants and contracts in support of the project.
This position will exercise a high degree of independent judgment and has delegated decision-making responsibility for funds management and contract administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
Major areas of responsibility include:
- The incumbent will oversee all core fiscal processes and procedures for the project;
- Develop research budgets and budget justifications for submission to external funding sources and ensure proposal conformity with agency guidelines;
- Responsible for budget implementation compliance with sponsor and parent institution requirements and policies including monitoring progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status;
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting, review of cash and bank status, consolidation and monitor of expenditure to ensure that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements;
- S/he organize and execute the pre award grant preparation and submission process;
- S/he will be responsible for post award grants management;
- Review of incoming award letters, for budget and award terms. Confer with program director to discuss award and how funds will be distributed;
- Authorize all necessary accounting transactions to maintain budget integrity; review and approval payroll reports, travel expenses, purchase orders, and subcontract invoices;
- Oversee timely reconciliation of monthly variance reports and projections, review budget reports and advice on spending patterns;
- Implement a contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; review contracts before approval and ensure that they fully comply with the organizational policies and procedures;
- Develop, update and implement all necessary financial and administration policies and accounting practices;
- Interface with auditors and provide access to records and timely follow-up to questions and/or concerns;
- Coordinate with the administrative team to develop grant submission schedules, delegate duties to staff and ensure adherence to deadlines;
- Maintain ongoing, timely and effective communication with all relevant parties throughout the entire post-award process;
- Present critical financial matters as necessary;
- Supervise Fiscal Team staff to meet all deadlines and goals;
- Manage the close-out of grants to include equipment management, invention statements, subcontract close-outs, final progress reports, and small business reports;
- Strategic planning for institutional financial management
Administration and Human Resources
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants;
- Fulfill the purchasing and procurement requirements for the organization and ensure that relevant policies are adhered to;
- Management of inventory and asset register;
- Ensuring that all legal operational licenses statutory remittances are up to date;
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities, office space, repair and maintenance of buildings, equipment and vehicles to ensure efficient and consistent operations ;
- Oversee strategic HR-related issues for the organization including hiring needs, salary increases, promotions, professional development, performance evaluations, disciplinary matters and terminations;
- Any other duties assigned by supervisor;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related field
- 7 years’ experience in a research organization with at least 5 years in financial management position
- Must have a thorough knowledge of contract and grant policies, grant preparation experience and post award management;
- Must be able to apply excellent analytical skills and flexibility to work effectively.
- Ability to (re) prioritize as necessary to meet critical deadlines;
- Strong supervisory skills and good interpersonal skills required to work as a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven strategic planning experience at the managerial level;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and manage competing priorities using strong organization skills;
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills using a range of software programs including MS Work, Excel, and Access;
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience handling high volume of diverse tasks, under deadlines, with consistent accuracy and attention to detail;
- CPA (K) qualified;
- Experience in health research administration and international research;
- Experience with pre- and post-award administrative systems;
- Master’s degree
Terms of Employment: Employment is on a one year renewable contract with a probation period for the first 3 months.
Salary is negotiable within the appropriate grade depending on education, experience and demonstrated competency.
How to Apply:
All applicants must meet each selection criteria detailed in the minimum requirements
Must include a current CV with names of at least 2 referees.
Must include copies of academic and professional certificates
Must include a copy of current certificate of good conduct
A duly signed application letter indicating the vacancy reference with copies of documents listed above should be sent to: email@example.com not later than 31st January 2018.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITED TO DIVERSITY; PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER. IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY.
Only those shortlisted will be contacted.