Kenya Children’s Home (KCH) was established by the Balcraig Foundation in 2002 when the Scottish charity took over the running of the former Thomas Barnardo House in Nairobi.
The orphanage is the flagship project of KCH and is home to up to 200 orphaned, destitute and abandoned babies and children at any one time.
Since its inception, KCH has grown significantly, extending its support far beyond the reach of the Nairobi orphanage, with the commencement and development of many other community projects throughout Kenya.
These projects continue to enrich the lives of many hundreds of Kenyan children and adults every day.
Job Title: Social Worker
Reports To: Social Programmes Manager
Liaises With: Other social workers, Accounts, welfare, commercial and other heads of departments and stakeholders in social work support related issues.
- Assist the Home division in charge in the efficient co-ordination of the social work activities/tasks. Ensure that the Home programme is up to standard in all its activities, and adheres to the home’s policy.
- Assist the outreach division in charge in carrying out the following;-
- Interview, assess and evaluate all home admission applications. Once satisfied, visit their homes, make comprehensive reports and make relevant recommendations.
- Make regular visits to all homes and schools taking notes of the progress while highlighting concerns brought up in liaison with the respective school teachers and guardians.
- Liaising with all section heads on all social work matters affecting their departments.
- Represent the home in committees and meetings as assigned by the Chief Administrator.
- Networking with other homes/organizations in matters of Home
- Support and recommend for referrals when appropriate.
- Be a source of counsel to the children’s academic and career choices.
- In deserving cases in 1.0 above, plan for implementation and ensure that all is done in the best interest of the child.
- Finding appropriate schools, vocational training and colleges for children under the home programme in liaison with the guardians and teachers.
- Maintain and keep accurate records for all children under the home programme.
- Prepare cases and attend the children’s court in respect to each child’s committal.
- Organize and supervise extracurricular activities of all children at the Home with a view to form a well-balanced individual.
- Being the flag bearer of an efficient, effective, thorough and friendly home programme.
- Motivate any intern under you for better teams and consequent improved efficiency and working environment.
- Ensure that the key performance indicators and benchmarks of the outreach division area of control are accurately monitored, documented and reports produced.
- Participate in fundraising activities as periodically organised in the home.
- Carry out any other duties as detailed by Administration.
Skills & Qualifications
- Preference will be given to candidates who have at least one year experience is social work/Community development
- Must have excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills with proficiency in English;
- Must be a team player with the ability to work with others to achieve high goals in a fast paced and high pressured environment;
- Must be a self-starter with ambition who can work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Must possess good negotiation skills, presentation, leadership and an innovative mind.
- Possess at least a Diploma in Social Work, Community Development or Social sciences. Degree will be an added advantage.
If you believe you merit the above requirements, please email us a Cover Letter along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae with three referees, email and day-time telephone contact to email@example.com on or before 1st February 2018
Hard copies can be delivered to:
The Human Resource Manager
Kenya Children’s Homes(Thomas Barnardos House)
Lang’ata Road, Opposite Wilson Airport next to Weston Hotel
The e-mail should have a subject line: Social Worker.
Kindly indicate current and expected salary on your application
Only candidates short-listed for the interview will be contacted.