Kenya Veterinary Vaccines Production Institute (KEVEVAPI)
Job Title: Deputy Director – Technical Services
Job Grade: VPI.15
Job Ref: DD-TS – KVVPI/001/01/2018
The Kenya Veterinary Vaccines Production Institute (KEVEVAPI) is a state corporation established under the State Corporations Act,
(CAP 446) through Legal Notice No. 223 and operating under the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, the State Department of
KEVEVAPI is mandated with the production, manufacturing, research and marketing of veterinary vaccines.
The Board is seeking to appoint a committed, experienced, dynamic, and results oriented Deputy Director, Technical Services.
The position will be a three year contract renewable subject to performance.
The successful candidate shall be offered a competitive remuneration package.
Job Description: The Deputy Director – Technical Services shall be responsible to the Chief Executive Officer to provide relevant technical advice on vaccines production, quality assurance, implementation and management of research and development.
The duties and responsibilities shall include:
- Offering Technical advice to the Chief Executive Officer/Board on all matters relating to technical services, technology dissemination and technical liaisons;
- Developing, recommending to the Chief Executive Officer, and implementing long term strategic business plans and annual work
programmes and establishing proper internal monitoring and controls;
- Providing regular thorough and prompt communication to the Chief Executive Officer on key technical matters;
- Ensuring continuous improvements in the quality, value and diversity of services and products provided by the Institute:
- Overseeing proper management and accountability of resources allocated to the technical programmes;
- Advising policy makers on vaccines development and usage;
- Co-ordinating of all technical programmes in liaison with other stakeholders on vaccine production;
- Providing leadership to senior management and staff to ensure compliance with all statutory, legal, and regulatory requirements;
- Ensuring that monitoring and evaluation systems are fully institutionalized and operationalized;
- Co-ordinating timely preparation of Board papers on technical matters and;
- Coordinating, preparation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Technical Departments performance contracts and staff
performance appraisal systems.
Qualifications and Experience
- Have a Bachelors degree in Veterinary Medicine (BVM) from a recognized University;
- Have a Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Veterinary Medicine, Vaccinology, Veterinary Microbiology or equivalent
qualifications from a recognized university;
- Have knowledge in quality vaccine production, management and administration;
- Must have ten (10) years of working experience in a relevant field with at least five (5) years at a senior management position;
- Possession of a PhD qualification in relevant field will be an added advantage:
- Be registered with the Kenya Veterinary Board and have current membership;
- Attended a Senior Management course lasting at least four (4) weeks;
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 on Leadership and integrity; and
- Demonstrated managerial, administrative and professional competence in work performance and exhibit a thorough understanding of national goals, policies, objectives and ability to relate them to proper vaccine production.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and a clear understanding of strategic leadership and management;
- Ability to portray and uphold positive national image;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity to and respect for diversity;
- Have a dear understanding of international standards in manufacturing and commercial principles in vaccines production;
- Have an understanding of the structure and functions of the public sector;
- Being a visionary and result oriented person and;
- Be computer literate.