The Rural Electrification Authority, a State Corporation established under the Energy Act No. 12 of 2006, is mandated to enhance provision of electricity in the rural areas of Kenya. It is also the lead agency in the development and promotion of renewable energy in Kenya.
Through its mandate, the Authority seeks to improve the socio-economic well-being of Kenyans living in rural areas. Since commencing operations in the 2008/09 financial year, the Authority has endeavoured to realize this objective and through its efforts, 70% of all the public facilities now have electricity.
Moving forward, the Authority will put more focus on renewable energy to provide electricity to areas far away from the national grid network.
The Authority is looking for experienced, highly motivated and results oriented individuals to fill vacancies in the organization. The applicants must be self-driven individuals who are focused and committed to driving the REA mandate.
They will work with their departmental teams in spearheading/embracing innovations, work ethics and must possess high level of integrity.
Applications are invited from professionals who meet ALL the minimum qualifications for the following position:
Manager, Legal Services
One (1) Post On Permanent and Pensionable Terms
The Manager will be responsible for playing an advisory role to the top management on legal issues and will report to the General Manager, Corporate Services.
The Job holder will also ensure that the Authority’s legal obligations are met in accordance with the Rural Electrification Authority mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing legal advice to management on all legal matters;
- Develop a comprehensive Legal framework for the Authority;
- Identification of all compliance issues in all the departments;
- Carry out annual legal audits prepare a report and present it to the General Manager Corporate Services;
- Negotiate, draft and review contracts, agreements and other legal instruments;
- Drafting legal opinions;
- Developing the targets for the staff of the department in consultation with the General Manager, Corporate Services;
- Carry out insurance needs analysis for REA staff, equipment and construction materials;
- Manage insurances for the Authority staff and equipment;
- Development of partnerships instruments between the Authority and other partners;
- Preparation of the budget for the Department;
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual performance reports and submit them to the General Manager Corporate Services;
- Ensuring that all staff meet their targets and submit their performance contract report as expected;
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB ) and Postgraduate diploma in Law from a recognized institution;
- Master’s degree in Commercial Law, Master’s in Business Administration, Economics or related field from a recognized institution;
- Registered with Law Society of Kenya (LSK), and Qualified Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (ICPSK);An advocate of the high court with a current practicing certificate;
- Leadership or Management course is an added advantage.
Experience and Competencies:
- At least eight(8) years relevant work experience, three (3) of which must be at management level;
- Prior experience at a managerial level in charge of a units and /or sections;
- Specialized legal management Skills;
- Decision making and problem solving skills;
- Report and Minutes writing skills;
- Clear demonstration of Litigation skills;
- Strong leadership, planning and Supervisory skills;
- Demonstrated integrity;
- Meets the requirements of chapter six of the constitution.
a) Apply for a position through a standard one-page letter, attaching a detailed CV and copies of certificates;
b) All applicants MUST
(i) Complete a BIO DATA form which can be obtained HERE from the REA website and send the same IN SOFT (NOT SCANNED) to the Chief Executive Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org.
(ii) In addition to the Bio Data form, submit HARD COPIES of their applications together with their updated Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of academic and professional certificates before or on the closing date.
c) Candidates must submit Tax Compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority, Clearance Certificates from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission and Higher Education Loans Board; and a valid Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
e) Qualified persons including physically challenged, youth and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
f) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should reach:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Rural Electrification Authority,
Kawi House, Block C/South C-Bellevue,
P.O Box 34585-00100,
On/or before 31st January, 2018.