Program Description: The Research Care and Training Program (RCTP) is collaboration between the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and University of Washington (UW).
RCTP leads the Family AIDS Care and Education Services (FACES) program, a comprehensive HIV prevention and Treatment.
We have the following vacancy in the MOTIVATE 2 Study:
Position: Laboratory Technologist
Vacancy No. FN-086-11-2017
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Position Summary: Planning and coordinating of laboratory functions, performs laboratory procedures, quality control, and quality assurance measures as outlined in the Laboratory Procedure Manual.
Tests patient specimens, correlates data, and reports results in a timely manner to affect quality patient care.
Terms of Employment: One (1) year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service.
The first 3 months is a probation period
The incumbent will perform all duties necessary for the successful implementation of the MOTIVATE study.
These include the following:
- Answerable to the study coordinator
- Accurate and timely performing of Study specific duties
- Ensuring custody of participant specimens and storage/archival
- Logging of specimen controls as per the set SOP.
- Ensuring Laboratory Waste segregation and management.
- Developing and updating laboratory inventory.
- Developing and continuous review of standard operating procedures in keeping with the protocol for the laboratory, and all lab related documents and manuals.
- Ensure compliance with all the SOPs and respective specimen flow charts
- Projection on consumables and re-ordering whenever due and ensuring custody.
- Participate in supervised sample shipment procedures
- Updating and ensuring quality assurance of the lab specimen data base
- GCLP compliant
- QA/QC point persons at the lab level
- A minimum of Diploma in Medical Laboratory or related field
- Registration with the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technologist Board.
Experience, Qualities and Attributes Required:
- Experience in research preferred ( added Advantage)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work past working hours (possibly on call)
- Extensive organization skills
- Ability to work in a clinically busy, resource-challenged and demanding environment.
- Commitment to integrity and high quality performance
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Keen and attentive to detail
- Ability to trouble shoot lab equipment related challenges
- Proactive, ability to work independently, interact well with other departments
- Familiarity with a multi- department clinical lab setting