Norwegian Refugee Council
Vacant Position: Communications Intern – Kenya
Ref. No: 3682393481
Number of positions: 1
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab and Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera.
NRC Kenya would like to offer an internship for a person that wants to gain experience from an INGO.
The Communications Intern will report directly to the Country Director.
- Write regular position papers and other communication for a public audience, that helps promote NRC’s advocacy and other strategic objectives.
- Coordinate systematic recording and editing of human-interest stories and photographs for use in communication and internal / external donor reporting.
- Coordinate NRC Kenya’s input into NRC public reports, such as the annual report.
- Responsible for improving internal communications, by managing NRC Kenya’s presence on the organization’s internal information-sharing platform, Workplace.
- Establish social media platforms for the Kenya Country Programme.
- Regularly update the fundraising strategy under the direction of the Country Director.
- Regularly update the work plan related to the advocacy objectives of the Kenya Country Strategy.
- Develop terms of reference for consultants undertaking research.
- Coordinate the agenda for strategic planning meetings.
- Any ad hoc tasks relating to communication and research as required by the Country Director.
- Graduate in Communications, Journalism or Public relations.
- Some experience in media, communication, advocacy or related field in the humanitarian context, including photography and video skills is an advantage.
- Ability to produce excellent written English across a range of communication products.
- Relevant skills managing social media platforms.
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multi-task and work with short deadlines
- Internship experience with other humanitarian agencies a plus
Education Field: Journalism / Communications
Education Level: Academy College / University
- Dedicated to work
- Creative and innovative
- Inclusive in working with others
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicate with impact and respect
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision
- Good interpersonal and Communication skills
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
- Accurate and keen to details
- A good team player with high degree of initiative, flexibility and tolerance
Duty Station: Nairobi
Contract Period: 6 months.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special Field: Communications / PR
- Role: Worker
Deadline for application: 30/01/2018