Norwegian Refugee Council
Journalism Skills Teacher – Dadaab
Kenya Nationals Only
Ref. nr.: 3670586435
Number of positions: 1
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab and Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab, Kakuma and Mandera.
The Project Skill teacher is responsible for teaching students in journalism skills in Youth Education Pack Centers in Dadaab
- Work with the community education committees in the planning and enrollment of the activities
- Use of training materials according to procedures
- Assist the assistant teachers in their work
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
- Report all protection related concerns
- Carry out data collection as required
- Prepare field reports as required/ directed.
- Prepare and file relevant documents as required by line manager
- Plan and implement instructional activities for the students as per the syllabus to ensure active and meaningful learning experience
- Preparing and maintain teacher professional records not limited to schemes of work, lesson plans, lesson notes, record of work covered and other records
- Assess and evaluate students continuously as per the training program requirements and maintain students’ progress records.
- Provide feedback to parents and project officer on pupil’s progress during education forums and report forms
- Responsible for the Registration and conduction of National Examinations for his Learners.
- Prepare and maintain updated inventory of training resources assigned
- Ensure that safety precautions are observed in the workshop always
- Participate in mobilization, recruitment and retention of learners
- Carry out basic maintenance of equipment assigned.
- Conduct evaluation and monitoring of students during attachments and placement
- Provide Entrepreneurship and business skills training to his learners
- Take part in designing, procurement and distribution of basic startup kit and livelihood support Kit to YEP graduate.
- Provide market information, Technical support and after training support to YEP graduates working in the local Markets.
- Guide and mentor assistant teacher in pedagogical competency and professional approach to work.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Education field: Journalism / Communications
Education level: Academy College / University
- Duty station: Dadaab
- Contract period is for 12 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Education / Training
Deadline for application: 19/01/2018