The Rural Electrification Authority, a State Corporation established under the Energy Act No. 12 of 2006, is mandated to enhance provision of electricity in the rural areas of Kenya. It is also the lead agency in the development and promotion of renewable energy in Kenya.
Through its mandate, the Authority seeks to improve the socio-economic well-being of Kenyans living in rural areas. Since commencing operations in the 2008/09 financial year, the Authority has endeavoured to realize this objective and through its efforts, 70% of all the public facilities now have electricity.
Moving forward, the Authority will put more focus on renewable energy to provide electricity to areas far away from the national grid network.
The Authority is looking for experienced, highly motivated and results oriented individuals to fill vacancies in the organization. The applicants must be self-driven individuals who are focused and committed to driving the REA mandate.
They will work with their departmental teams in spearheading/embracing innovations, work ethics and must possess high level of integrity.
Applications are invited from professionals who meet ALL the minimum qualifications for the following position:
Principal Engineer, Design
One (1) Post on Permanent and Pensionable Terms Service
Duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual sectional reports;
- Mentor and coach staff;
- Participate in the implementation of the performance management system in the section;
- Oversees the implementation of REA grid extension projects;
- Participate in formulation of power system design standards and ensure they are adhered to;
- Provide technical leadership and guidance on matters pertaining to design of distribution and transmission lines as necessary;
- Participate in the formulation of power system design standards and ensure they are adhered to;
- Implement policies and programmes on power system design;
- Design, supervise and commission projects;
- Prepare tenders documents ;
- Evaluate tenders and presentation to tender committee ;
- Factory acceptance test, supervision and commissioning ;
- Technical advisory;
- And any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Renewable Energy from a recognized institution;
- Master’s Degree in a related field from a recognized institution;
- Registered with Engineers Board of Kenya ;
- Member of the Institute of Engineers of Kenya;
- Leadership /Management course lasting not less than four weeks is an added advantage;
Experience and Competencies:
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience with at least 3 years of supervisory experience;
- Knowledge of the industry and energy sector;
- Decision making and problem solving skills ;
- Leadership skills;
- Communication skills;
- Analytical Skills;
- Demonstrated Integrity;
- Meets the requirements of chapter six of the constitution.
a) Apply for a position through a standard one-page letter, attaching a detailed CV and copies of certificates;
b) All applicants MUST
(i) Complete a BIO DATA form which can be obtained HERE from the REA website and send the same IN SOFT (NOT SCANNED) to the Chief Executive Officer on email@example.com.
(ii) In addition to the Bio Data form, submit HARD COPIES of their applications together with their updated Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of academic and professional certificates before or on the closing date.
c) Candidates must submit Tax Compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority, Clearance Certificates from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission and Higher Education Loans Board; and a valid Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
e) Qualified persons including physically challenged, youth and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
f) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should reach:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Rural Electrification Authority,
Kawi House, Block C/South C-Bellevue,
P.O Box 34585-00100,
On/or before 31st January, 2018.