The Rural Electrification Authority, a State Corporation established under the Energy Act No. 12 of 2006, is mandated to enhance provision of electricity in the rural areas of Kenya. It is also the lead agency in the development and promotion of renewable energy in Kenya.
Through its mandate, the Authority seeks to improve the socio-economic well-being of Kenyans living in rural areas. Since commencing operations in the 2008/09 financial year, the Authority has endeavoured to realize this objective and through its efforts, 70% of all the public facilities now have electricity.
Moving forward, the Authority will put more focus on renewable energy to provide electricity to areas far away from the national grid network.
The Authority is looking for experienced, highly motivated and results oriented individuals to fill vacancies in the organization. The applicants must be self-driven individuals who are focused and committed to driving the REA mandate.
They will work with their departmental teams in spearheading/embracing innovations, work ethics and must possess high level of integrity.
Applications are invited from professionals who meet ALL the minimum qualifications for the following position:
Principal Engineer, Renewable Energy
One (1) Post on Permanent and Pensionable Terms of Service
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the implementation of REA renewable energy projects;
- Participate in the formulation of power system design standards and ensure they are adhered to;
- Provide technical leadership and guidance on matters pertaining to the design of distribution and transmission lines as necessary;
- Implement policies and programmes on Renewable Energy;
- Identify renewable energy projects including those sponsored by development partners;
- Design, supervise and commission renewable energy projects;
- Prepare tenders documents;
- Factory acceptance test, supervision and commissioning of projects ;
- Provide technical advisory;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual sectional reports;
- Mentor and coach staff;
- Participate in the implementation of the performance management system in the section;
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering ( Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Civil, Construction) or Renewable Energy or any other relevant field from a recognized institution;
- Master’s Degree in a related field from a recognized institution;
- Registered with Engineers Board of Kenya or any other relevant professional body;
- Member of the Institute of Engineers of Kenya; or any other professional body;
- Leadership or Management course is an added advantage.
Experience and Competencies:
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience with at least 3 years of supervisory experience;
- Knowledge of the industry and energy sector;
- Decision making and problem solving skills;
- Leadership skills;
- Communication skills;
- Analytical Skills;
- Demonstrated Integrity;
- Meets the requirements of chapter six of the constitution.
a) Apply for a position through a standard one-page letter, attaching a detailed CV and copies of certificates;
b) All applicants MUST
(i) Complete a BIO DATA form which can be obtained HERE from the REA website and send the same IN SOFT (NOT SCANNED) to the Chief Executive Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org.
(ii) In addition to the Bio Data form, submit HARD COPIES of their applications together with their updated Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of academic and professional certificates before or on the closing date.
c) Candidates must submit Tax Compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority, Clearance Certificates from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission and Higher Education Loans Board; and a valid Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
e) Qualified persons including physically challenged, youth and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
f) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should reach:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Rural Electrification Authority,
Kawi House, Block C/South C-Bellevue,
P.O Box 34585-00100,
On/or before 31st January, 2018.