We are hiring an HR Associate!
About Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust: Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust (RWMT) is a charitable organization that works to empower communities to create positive change in a rural area of Siaya County in Western Kenya.
Nearly 60% of the population in this area live below the poverty line and only 18% of the population have finished high school. RWMT lies in the center of Rarieda sub-County and serves over 30,000 people.
We dream of people believing in themselves and working together to build a vibrant and progressive community. To achieve this, we run community programs under RWMT and offer vocational trainings at Rarieda Training & Resource Centre (RTRC).
Our team of 55 currently engages nearly 3,000 orphans and vulnerable children and their families with impressive outcomes across health, education, economic empowerment and human right advocacy. Currently, 200 students are being equipped with vocational and life skills, which otherwise would not be accessible to them.
We are looking for an experienced HR professional to join us and help us and our employees reach new and bold heights.
About the Role: As HR Associate, you will oversee the HR function and ensure all processes and procedures comply with legal requirements and industry best practice.
You will also be responsible for building and maintaining a highly skilled, committed, motivated and productive workforce which can turn our dream into reality by championing a conducive work environment based on integrity and accountability.
This is a one-person HR department, so we are looking for an HR generalist with strong commitment and high energy.
Your responsibilities will include:
Drive implementation, documentation and communication of all HR requirements across the organization
- Ensure that contracts, agreements and job descriptions are in place for all staff, contractors and volunteers, and updated as required.
- Manage staff probations, appointments, confirmations, promotions, transfers and terminations.
- Keep, organize, maintain up to date staff files and the HR system to ensure legal compliance. Ensure confidentiality and security of employee data.
- Maintain the HR policy, and present to Board for approval. Conduct regular sessions with staff, to ensure it is appropriately communicated and understood.
- Manage all employee relations: work closely with staff and supervisors to address any grievances, concerns or HR issues quickly.
- Take the lead in disciplinary procedures as needed, according to the HR policy.
- Manage staff leave request processes.
- Ensure smooth and professional process for any exiting staff and required documentation.
- Manage safety, health and employee wellbeing; including implementation and oversight of WIBA insurance, health insurance, OSHA, fire safety, and more.
- Represent HR in the Management Team including advising on Kenyan labour laws and industry trends and best case practices
Drive employee motivation, development and performance
- Coordinate the Performance Appraisal System process by engaging managers to ensure PAs are completed as per schedule. Improve the PAS, and implement best practices to improve employee engagement and motivation.
- Keep HR system updated and create monthly HR reports. Come up with suggestions and mechanisms to increase employees’ commitment and motivation in a bid to increase staff performance and retention.
- Develop and implement an annual training schedule geared towards team building, capacity building and reduction of knowledge gaps.
- Work closely with managers to identify learning & development needs specific to each department. Find creative ways and opportunities for staff training and development at low cost to the organization.
- Lead the collection of feedback through staff surveys.
- Coordinate staff meetings (monthly staff meetings, trainings, community and orphan volunteer days, end year celebrations, team buildings, etc.)
- Coordinate the processes of recruitment, which includes vacancy announcements, sourcing candidates, shortlisting and interviews, with assistance from department leads.
- Liaise with Management for new offers, contracts, and salary determination.
Constantly improve our orientation and onboarding, ensuring great integration of new staff, consultants and volunteers, setting them
- up for success.
Organization Resource Planning
- Together with the management team update the organogram quarterly. Recommend minimum requirements for the different levels in the organization and update related procedures accordingly.
- Assist the Programs Manager in staff planning for new grants and programs.
- Constantly carry out identification and matching of staff skills in collaboration with department leads.
- Ensure that the wage sheet for casuals and the pay advice for staff is done monthly and submitted to the finance team.
- Advise appropriately on employee salary offers and adjustments. Keep, organize and maintain up-to date employee records in the payroll system.
Who we are looking for:
- You are excited about bringing a talent management mind-set to an ambitious rural development organization.
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in Human Resources, ideally a busy generalist role.
- Proven skills and knowledge in all HR generalist areas, incl. payroll, contracts, labour laws, performance appraisals, PIP and recruitment.
- You have a vision for innovative onboarding and performance management driving organization culture and excellence.
- Strong past results in improving HR processes, ability to influence adoption in the team and iterating the process based on learnings.
- Experience in HR Software.
- You enjoy working in a people-facing role and you have strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- You are very organized, with good time management and administration skills.
- You anticipate issues and have a proven track record of being resourceful in resource-constrained environments.
- Ideally you have engaged with grassroots organizations or non-profits before and you understand the different working culture in this space.
- You hold a degree in HR or related studies. CHRP is an added advantage.
- You are a member of IHRM and ideally hold a practicing license.
- You have the right fit with our culture if:
- You are compassionate and deeply care about children, youth and rural development.
- You value transparency and encourage accountability in all aspects of your life.
- You pride yourself on being flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances.
- You are humble and comfortable in varying settings, alternating between interacting with rural community members, international visitors and high-level stakeholder meetings.
- You value being part of a team that aims to set new industry standards.
Why work with us?
- While our work with communities is very challenging, it is also very rewarding – you see lives changing before your eyes!
- You will be part of growing our impact with some exciting networks and partnerships that we have built over the past 15 years.
- We are on the journey to becoming a role model development organization and will in the process support many other CBOs and NGOs.
- We are a committed team and we care about each other.
- You will be living and working in a beautiful, calm and clean environment, with fresh air and close to Lake Victoria.
- The role is based in our main office in a rural village in Rarieda, Siaya County. We are about 20 km from the nearest town (Bondo) where some of our team members live.
- Due to the nature of work additional hours may be required. At times, program activities extend into the weekend and may require your participation.
- We are looking for candidates who are excited about living and working in a rural setup for a minimum of 3-5 years. There is a six month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
- Interested female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Want to apply?
Applicants should take time to reflect and make sure they resonate strongly with Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust’s vision and mission before considering to apply: http://www.rafikiwamaendeleo.org/who-we-are
Please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
Fill out the application form under http://bit.ly/RafikiHR
Send your CV in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “HR Associate – Rafiki”.
Please ensure it is tailored to this role and no more than 3 pages.
Recruitment process in collaboration with edge