Job Title: Operations / HR Manager
Location: Hargeisa, Somalia with frequent travel to work locations within Somalia and Somaliland
Reporting to: Somalia Country Director
Line Management responsibility:
- Administration and logistics officer (TBA)
- Somalia security coordinator
- Somalia programme staff
- Deputy Head of Africa programme (Kampala)
- Director of Operations/HR (London)
- Regional security adviser
- Operations/HR regional staff
Hours: 37.5 hours
Salary range: USD 36,951 – 45,485 gross per year
Saferworld: Saferworld is an independent non-governmental organisation that works to prevent and reduce violent conflict and promote cooperative approaches to security.
We work with civil society, governments and international organisations to encourage and support effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the development of local capacities and structures.
Saferworld has worked in Africa and the Horn region since 1997. We have a well-established programme in Somali/land working with six partner agencies across Somaliland, Puntland and south and central Somalia. We have offices in Hargeisa and Mogadishu and representatives in Kismayo and Baidoa.
The operations manager will be responsible for:
- The development, implementation and monitoring of operational and human resource policies, procedures and practices
- The effective and efficient management of Saferworld’s Somalia/land offices
- Management of legal/registration processes
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Oversee the efficient running of Saferworld’s Somalia/land offices.
- Manage the administration team for guesthouses in both Hargeisa and Mogadishu
- Ensure quality operational services which reflect the requirements of the programme.
- Ensure operational procedures are in place, documented and in line with Saferworld’s human resources plan and personnel management policies.
- Manage the registration and legal processes required in Somalia/land, ensuring all leases, insurance and other legal documents are in order, up-to-date, cost effective and relevant.
- Manage the IT administration and support ensuring it remains fit for purpose, working with IT consultant
- With national security coordinator, ensure security protocols and duty of care standards are maintained, and regularly review security preparations for Saferworld offices, including evacuation plans, security instructions and any other necessary contingency planning, promoting workplace safety
- Ensure that proper administrative procedures and standards are followed for requisition follow-up, purchasing, stock-keeping and dispatch
- Manage and update inventory and stock lists in Saferworld offices, stores and field offices on a quarterly basis
- Oversee transport logistics, both local and international, including airport pickups, and accommodation for visitors and staff.
- Maintain security, SPU and driver schedules for offices and guesthouses
- Undertake regular Somalia HR Handbook, ensuring that policies remain in compliance with local labour laws, and recommend updates where required. Ensure that all staff are aware of policies and procedures.
- Provide advice and assistance to staff and management on pay and benefits systems, as well as employment standards and legislation such as workers compensation, labour standards and Fair Practice Act.
- Manage the implementation of Saferworld’s recruitment policy, including involvement in writing job descriptions, preparing notices and advertisements for vacant positions, organising and participating in job interviews and conducting reference checks.
- Ensuring that recruitment practices are fair and consistent and comply with regulations and organisational good practice. Manage staff induction and monitor.
- Monitor the implementation of Saferworld performance management process.
- With programme managers identify staff training and development requirements, as part of the performance management process.
- Maintain staff files ensuring staff database is kept up-to-date in line with Saferworld’s procedures.
Supervision and management
- Line manage staff as appropriate.
- Monitor attendance and investigate causes for absences, providing duty of care advice and support to staff.
- Provide advice and recommendations to line manager on staff related issues.
- Keep track of staff leave, travel and planned absences and ensure continuity of services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Human Resources, or related field
- A minimum of 5 years management experience in NGO operations/HR in Somalia or Somaliland
- Experience of implementing, maintaining and improving relevant systems and procedures
- Knowledge of employment legislation and Somalia labour law
- Familiarity with recruitment process, including induction
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral
- Sound judgement and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Well organised with strong time management skills
- A positive, problem-solving approach
- Respect for diversity and sensitivity to other cultures
- A commitment to working in a non-partisan manner
- Commitment to Saferworld’s mission and purpose and an interest in conflict prevention, arms control and or development
- Fluency in English and Somali (written and spoken)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Salary range: USD 36,951 – 45,485 gross per year
Hours: 37.5 hours per week with additional hours likely to be required
Medical insurance: Provided
Holidays: 28 days per year (January-December)
Probation: There will be a probationary period of three months
To apply, please complete the Saferworld Application Form (a copy of which can be found at www.saferworld.org.uk/about/jobs) detailing how you meet the selection criteria and send it to: email@example.com. (Please use subject heading: Ref: SOM)
Deadline for applications: 9th February 2018
Please note that only electronic applications will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.