FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges.
FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidates for the below positions for the HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley project.
Job Title: Technical Officer, Systems Specialist (GIS, mHealth)
Reports To: Director Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)
Project: HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley
Requisition / Job ID: 2018200192
1 Position: Nakuru Office
BASIC FUNCTIONS: The Technical Officer-Systems Specialist will be part of the M&E team at HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley and will work under the direct supervision of the Director M&E Under guidance of the Director M&E, he/she will lead the development and maintenance of a comprehensive HMIS platform including GIS and information resource to support the management and reporting of complex information.
Provide advice on software and hardware needs.
He/she will participate in other activities related to HMIS, research, targeted evaluation, surveillance surveys and monitoring and evaluation as well as provide assistance and training to system users.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Database Design and Development:
- Lead the development, adaption/improvement of existing automated performance reporting systems, including enhanced user interfaces and compatibility across reporting systems using Java, Access, Visual Basic and SQL in response to meet project information needs
- Develop and maintain a GIS database and mhealth solutions to meet project needs
- Develop and maintain repository database for EMR data from support health facilities
- Ensure adequate and up to date documentation of database applications.
- Provide technical guidance in the installation of developed applications, lead in writing application manuals, user manuals.
- Ensure ongoing maintenance and technical support to users of database applications.
- Perform needs assessment and works with Technical staff at project and implementing partner level to determine feasibility of development of new databases and enhancements or modifications to existing databases
- Develops and ensures adherence to data management policies e.g. USG to ensure the security and confidentiality project data.
- Monitors staff compliance with confidentiality policies to assure that security standards are met.
- Develop standardized programming and data documentation procedures relevant to the data systems.
Maintains project databases for routine data, reporting data quality and service quality assessments.
- Monitors and optimizes database design, content, structure and other management issues.
- Develop a monitoring schedule for backup and recovery of all databases. Takes appropriate measures to ensure the security of the data.
- Recommends hardware and software upgrades to the database server as needed including m-health solutions
- Development of data procedural protocols, update, and reviews.
Hardware and Software:
- Oversees the management of hardware and software as related to the operations of the databases and m-health solutions including system development and maintenance, recommends purchase of new hardware and software maintenance of records and reports relating to database operations and data/project archives.
- Provide leadership in the use of electronic medical related software and m-health solutions
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Project Director
- Set up systems to support data analytics and develop data visualization and analysis products for performance tracking and program quality improvement
- Create and maintain the GIS database and designs the tools necessary for loading / transferring GIS data between different systems.
- Write formal metadata documentation, according to standard, as well as informal documentation for GIS data resources
- Analyze GIS data to identify spatial relationships, or display the results of analyses; review GIS data for currency and accuracy; document the parameters and context of GIS data; perform geospatial modeling or spatial analysis; and create thematic maps for program purposes.
- Develop web based and mobile GIS application, customizes desktop GIS software to facilitate end user training and ease of use; trains users and provides support for desktop applications
REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Experience in database development including GIS, management information systems and health informatics
- Experience in developing mobile applications
- Experience using online and new technologies for knowledge sharing and collaboration a plus.
- Demonstrated experience assessing users’ data needs and designing user-friendly IT solutions to promote strategic decision-making throughout the project life cycle.
- Experience in development of training manuals and in training users on databases
- Keen to maintain data security and data quality systems
- Good planning and organizational skills Tact and diplomacy in dealing with implementing partners
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS STANDARDS:
- Bachelor of science degree in Computer Science, Health Informatics, Mathematics or related field with 5-7 years relevant experience or Masters’ degree with 3-5 years relevant in field.
- Solid experience in database development, web-based reporting systems, management information systems, health informatics, GIS tools, information storage and security, data quality assurance, mobile/SMS technologies, and other relevant technologies.
- Demonstrated programming skills using either Visual Basic, Java, MySQL, SQL, Dreamweaver, JavaDb, python or Arc Objects
- Computer proficiency in word processing, databases, spreadsheets, including advanced skills in at least two of the following programs: SPSS, Excel, Epi Info, Stata, and Ms Access.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through informal and formal trainings.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
How to Apply
FHI 360 has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates are encouraged to CLICK HERE to apply online or register online through FHI 360’s Career Center www.fhi360.org/careers and key in the Job / Requisition ID where a detailed Job description will be availed.
Applications to be received not later than February 9th 2018.
Locals from the regions mentioned above are encouraged to apply.
Kindly note that only shortlisted persons will be contacted.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.