FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges.
FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidates for the below positions for the HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley project.
Job Title: Technical Officer – Laboratory
Reports To: Senior Technical Officer – Laboratory
Project: HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley
Requisition / Job ID: 2018200163
4 Positions – Nakuru Office, Laikipia-Nanyuki, Turkana-Lodwar and Kajiado-Ngong
JOB SUMMARY: Provides laboratory mentorship with technical assistance, capacity building, training, and quality assurance services. In addition, prepares laboratory procedures and manuals and trains staff in their use.
Prepares reports and supports the follow-up of technical assistance and assessment visits to include corrective actions and capacity building initiatives to medical laboratories serving the public health project
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working closely with Senior Technical Officer – Laboratory as well as regional multidisciplinary mentorship teams and capacity laboratory in providing technical assistance to ensure and enhance the quality of laboratory services. Specifically, the key responsibilities are:
1. Work closely with facility based laboratory staff to provide laboratory technical assistance as needed and requested as part of overall mentorship improvement schemes.
2. Provide mentorship and coaching, OJT and support supervision of laboratory and other staff on laboratory related services and procedures in the respective regions
3. Ensure good laboratory networks for sample shipping and timely results delivery in supported regions
4. Support the preparation and delivery of trainings to laboratory staff (including general laboratory technician training and laboratory supervisor training) and training-related services.
5. In close collaboration with laboratory management support the follow-up of needed corrective and preventive actions.
6. Assist laboratories and capacity laboratory hire with development of routine SOP development and internal quality control interpretation/EQA.
7. Support selected laboratories with preparation towards the implementation of ISO15189/WHO-AFRO accreditation process.
8. Provide laboratory improvement report of all the laboratories within his/her allocated region within the agreed time period.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, ABILITIES, EXPERTISE AND COMPLEXITY:
1. Working knowledge of laboratory ISO 15189/WHO AFRO implementation
2. Proven capability and direct experience in clinical and research laboratory functions and services, including in resource constrained settings.
3. Resourceful and creative thinker with the ability to develop simple and efficient solutions and recommendations.
4. Excellent attention to detail.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly diplomacy.
6. Good in both written and spoken English and report writing.
7. Direct experience developing and delivering trainings in laboratory sciences.
8. Experience in an accredited lab or a lab undergoing accreditation will be an added advantage
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
How to Apply
FHI 360 has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates are encouraged to CLICK HERE to apply online or register online through FHI 360’s Career Center www.fhi360.org/careers and key in the Job / Requisition ID where a detailed Job description will be availed.
Applications to be received not later than February 9th 2018.
Locals from the regions mentioned above are encouraged to apply.
Kindly note that only shortlisted persons will be contacted.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.