Action Africa Help International (AAH-I)
Job Title: Senior Programme Officer
Grade: As per AAH Sudan salary scale
Department / Section: Programme
Reports to: Programme Manager
Liaises with: Sector heads, Area Coordinators, M&E Coordinator, Finance & Grants Manager
Duty Station: Juba, with frequent field visits.
Purpose of the role: The Senior Programme Officer will contribute actively to effective management of projects, contribute to funding portfolio growth and participate in coordination and partnership development with other partners.
The main purpose of this position is to effectively support project management, contribute to resource mobilization, enhance timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting of project implementation progress.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Support Project Management
- Work with project managers to ensure that project plans are prepared on time, coordinating resources, managing budgets, meeting reporting requirements, and supporting project-related activities, to ensure project outcomes are achieved on time, on budget, to quality standards and within agreed scope in line with established standards.
- Provide direct support to Managers and Area Coordinators on project planning and monitoring (procurement planning, budget design/revision, forecast and follow-up, monthly reports, technical reports, trouble shooting unforeseen challenges as they arise, etc.)
- Support and facilitate the regular holding of PMT sessions for the projects and sharing the outcomes of such sessions as well as following up of the generated action points.
- Actively participate in relevant coordination meetings and networking events (e.g., Health, FSL and logistics cluster coordination meetings, relevant RFA/P meetings, donor consultations) as needed for the performance of duties
2. Contribute to Resource Mobilisation
- With support from Program Manager and in close coordination with the Sector Heads, Advisors , Project Managers, Grants and Finance Manager significantly contribute to the development of high quality concept notes and proposals to donors
- Participate in targeted assessment surveys, analyses and studies in support of resource mobilization, and ensure systematic documentation and timely assessment report writing
- Participate in the preparation of funding proposals, including leading proposal writing and costing processes, in line with donor and organizational guidelines. Ensure quality of proposals – following guidelines, using templates; writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone.
- Working with the Programme Manager and sector heads to research, track and follow up on funding opportunities; monitor, identify, review and pursue a steady stream of grant funding opportunities.
- Meet proposal deadline by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval; entering and monitoring tracking data; coordinating requirements with contributors.
- Track country and regional resource mobilization efforts and report status through maintaining an up to date pursuit list.
- Maintain a catalogue of grants concept notes and proposals that can be presented to potential donors at short notice.
3. Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Capacity Building
- Support internal and external monitoring and evaluation of current and previous programs in the operational area in a manner that facilitates organizational learning.
- Ensure high quality timely technical and donor reporting across all project bases according to AAH-I and donor standards
- Support learning and application of innovative approaches at field level in collaboration with other AAH-I technical departments and external partners
- Ensure documentation and capitalization of lessons learnt, success stories and good practices from the projects; and contribute to the preparation of publications, where applicable
- Bachelor`s Degree in Social sciences or equivalent
- Master’s degree in Development or other relevant fields (health, humanitarian relief; food security and livelihoods).
- First degree in development related field, with substantial experience in project management, resource mobilization and monitoring and evaluation. Master’s degree preferred.
- Project cycle management experience in key thematic sectors that AAH-I works in – humanitarian emergency, health and nutrition, WASH, food security and livelihoods, education, governance etc.
- Technical training qualifications and professional technical skills desired: Humanitarian standards (SPHERE, HAP), specific trainings and/or experience on donor requirements e.g. UN, USAID, DFID, EU, CSR, exposure to cross-cutting issues such as protection, gender, HIV/AIDS, disability, etc.
Minimum relevant experience required
- At least 5 years’ relevant working experience in a similar role working in development and humanitarian emergency interventions, preferably with experience in South Sudan or similar context.
- Strong analytical and conceptualization skills. Capable of hands-on problem-solving, with ability to generate ideas and solutions. Highly organized and efficient, high energy attitude, flexibility and attention to detail;
Additional Skills & Competences
- Demonstrated history of writing comprehensive, successful proposals to major donors – DFID/UKAid, USAID, EU, UN agencies, Foundations.
- Networking and external engagement skills: proven experience in networking with donors, private sector and partners to bring about funding opportunities.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, with good report writing skills and ability to develop quality concept notes, proposals, logical frameworks and reports under tight deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders from a range of professional backgrounds. Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Strong budgetary and financial management skills.
- Team player; the ability to work as part of a diverse team, including those in remote locations, to achieve the overall goal.
Interested candidates should email application letter and CV (with 3 referees) addressed to email@example.com to be received by 16th February, 2018.
The email Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for.
AAH-I is an equal-opportunity employer.
We thank candidates for their high interest in the opportunities we publish on our website.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only get back to shortlisted candidates.