The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a registered international Non-Governmental Organization in Kenya with a mandate to work on African development policy issues.
Our mission is to translate and enable the utilization of evidence in policy-making, primarily in the fields of Population Change and Sustainable Development; Reproductive, Maternal, New born, Child, and Adolescent Health; Transformative Education and Skill Development; and Capacity Building in Evidence-Informed policy making in Africa.
We work to bridge the gap between research, policy and practice by enabling use of research evidence in decision-making aimed at addressing various development challenges in Africa.
We do this through fostering consistent availability of timely, relevant and accessible evidence from credible sources to support policy making and implementation of effective development programmes in the continent.
With our Head Office in Nairobi-Kenya and a regional office in Lilongwe Malawi, we are seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to fill the following
Based in our Lilongwe office in Malawi, the role will lead AFIDEP’s communications and policy engagement activities and support programme implementation activities in Malawi and the Southern Africa region.
- Identify and facilitate AFIDEP’s participation in important national and regional policy dialogue forums.
- Expand AFIDEP’s policy links and influence by establishing and maintaining relationships with relevant national policymakers and donors in Malawi and sub-regional bodies and networks in Southern Africa.
- Develop and oversee the production of AFIDEP’s policy-oriented publications, including Policy briefs, Research Briefs, Factsheets, and Development Perspectives.
- Contribute to development and production of AFIDEP’s institutional publications, including Brochures, Newsletters, Annual Reports.
- Establish and sustain meaningful connections with relevant media actors and facilitate media coverage of AFIDEP’s research and programmes in Malawi and Southern Africa.
- Contribute content for AFIDEP’s website and social media platforms.
- Coordinate research, capacity building and advocacy programmes in Malawi.
- Lead in planning and organising workshops, training and other events related to AFIDEP’s programmes in Malawi.
- Masters’ degree either in communications, international relations, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, preferably in a research setting in the areas of health, population, environment or development.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English (proficiency in French will be an added advantage).
- Experience in synthesis and translation of research findings, and in developing high impact policy briefs and web-based advocacy materials.
- Experience in policy engagement and programme management.
- Graphics and web design and management skills would be an added advantage.
- Experience in project management including report writing, building and managing partnerships, and organisation of high-level forums.
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills and experience in using relevant analytical software would be an added advantage.
Additional information: The above positions will be for a period of 2 years (except Director position which is for 3 years), renewable depending on performance, continued need of the Institute, and availability of funding. A competitive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with qualifications, skills, and experience.
How to Apply
This position will be for a period of 2 years, with possibility of extension.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are required to send their 1) one-page cover letter, 2) CV (including three relevant referees), and 3) two-page statement detailing career goals and interests not later than March 5, 2018 to:
Finance and Administration Manager
African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP),
6th Floor Wing A, Westcom Point Building,
Mahiga Mairu Avenue, Westlands
P.O. Box 14688-00800, Westlands,
For more about the Institute, please visit our website www.afidep.org.