The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a registered international Non-Governmental Organization in Kenya with a mandate to work on African development policy issues.
Our mission is to translate and enable the utilization of evidence in policy-making, primarily in the fields of Population Change and Sustainable Development; Reproductive, Maternal, New born, Child, and Adolescent Health; Transformative Education and Skill Development; and Capacity Building in Evidence-Informed policy making in Africa.
We work to bridge the gap between research, policy and practice by enabling use of research evidence in decision-making aimed at addressing various development challenges in Africa.
We do this through fostering consistent availability of timely, relevant and accessible evidence from credible sources to support policy making and implementation of effective development programmes in the continent.
With our Head Office in Nairobi-Kenya and a regional office in Lilongwe Malawi, we are seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to fill the following
Research Translation Scientist
in the following areas
- Education and Skills Development
- Health System Strengthening – Health Economics/Public Health
- Population Change and Sustainable Development
The roles entail providing leadership in development and implementation of research knowledge translation and capacity building programmes and promoting the use of the evidence in decision-making at national and regional levels.
These are senior technical positions with accountabilities to partners and the institute’s leadership. The successful candidates shall be expected to lead various programmes implementation initiatives besides resource mobilisation activities.
The candidates should have a Ph.D. in either of the following; Population Studies (Demography), Education, Health Economics or Development Economics.
They should also have strong qualitative and quantitative research skills; a record of accomplishment in publications and grants proposal writing; hands-on experience in policy analysis, synthesizing and translating research evidence into outputs that can be easily used by policymakers and in policy engagement.
- Lead the conceptualization, design, and implementation of research, capacity building and policy engagement programmes
- Conduct research evidence synthesis including systematic reviews.
- Conduct research evidence translation into policy-oriented advocacy materials.
- Promote the application of research findings in decision-making processes at national, regional, and international levels.
- Proposal writing and fundraising.
- Scientific writing for various research knowledge consumers and publishing policy-oriented research in journals.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- For the specific position applied for the candidate should have a Ph.D. in either of the following; Population Studies (Demography), Education, Health Economics or Development Economics.
- Strong quantitative research skills (qualitative skills is an added advantage)
- Strong analytical skills
- Critical thinker
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English (additional skills in French desirable).
- Strong interpersonal skills with effective team management skills
- Strong adaptability skills to changing research evidence environment
- Minimum of 5 years’ postdoctoral professional experience.
- Management and coordination of research programmes and partnerships
- Scientific writing publications.
- Evidence translation and policy analysis
- Engagement of senior policymakers
- Experience in proposal writing and fundraising.
- Monitoring and evaluation of research programmes
These positions are tenable in either Nairobi or Lilongwe with at least 25% travel to the other.
How to Apply
This position will be for a period of 2 years, with possibility of extension.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are required to send their 1) one-page cover letter, 2) CV (including three relevant referees), and 3) two-page statement detailing career goals and interests not later than March 5, 2018 to:
Finance and Administration Manager
African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP),
6th Floor Wing A, Westcom Point Building,
Mahiga Mairu Avenue, Westlands
P.O. Box 14688-00800, Westlands,
For more about the Institute, please visit our website www.afidep.org.