Amref Health Africa
The Koota Injena project is looking for a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Specialist to join its team.
Job Ref: Amref/RMNCAH/2018/02-04
Reporting To: Senior Technical Advisor for Child, Early and Forced Marriage (CEFM) and Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C)
Department / Program / Project: Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) Program / The Koota Injena Project
Physical Location: Marsabit
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is for lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems.
With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and West Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 900 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
For more information on Amref Health Africa, please visit www.amref.org.
USAID / Washington awarded the Koota Injena Cooperative Agreement to Amref Health Africa, Inc. in partnership with Food for the Hungry (FH). The three year project from October 1, 2017 until September 30, 2020 will be implemented in two counties in the pastoral communities of Kenya.
The goal of the project is to implement and provide evidence on the effectiveness of engaging clans and clan leaders as levers of bringing attitudinal and norm change towards the abandonment of Child, Early and Forced Marriage (CEFM) and Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C), and re-define the value of the girl among the clan members of the Samburu, Borana, Rendille and Gabra communities in Kenya’s Samburu and Marsabit Counties.
To fulfil its mission, the Koota Injena project is looking for a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Specialist to join its team:
Overall Job Description: Under the supervision of the Senior Technical Advisor for CEFM and FGM/C and in collaboration with other team members, the M&E Specialist will provide technical leadership to capture program intervention activities and results, ensure high-quality, timely, valid and verifiable data collection and analysis, and develop and implement a learning agenda.
- Minimum four years of post-Master’s experience with research, analysis, gender-sensitive monitoring and evaluation, training, and linking research to programmatic activities are essential.
- Experience with CEFM, FGM/C, and PYD strongly preferred and past experience with USAID project management – including and especially quarterly data analysis and report writing preferred.
Education, Skills and Competencies Requirements
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., Public Health, Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Demography, International Development, Anthropology)
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing M&E frameworks, tools, and systems, preferably for USAID Activities;
- Experience strengthening the implementing organizations to in the development and use of Monitoring Information System (MIS)/M&E tools, including facilitating trainings and providing after-adoption follow-up coaching for field staff;
- Experience in developing and delivering M&E trainings for field staff, and in providing ongoing M&E capacity-building and support to project implementation teams;
- Experience managing a project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan and Performance Monitoring P plan for USAID-funded projects;
- Experience identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving issues with M&E tools and systems;
- Experience analyzing M&E data and translating findings for inclusion in USAID quarterly reports;
- Demonstrated ability to use project-level M&E data to refine and revise project activities throughout the project life cycle;
- Quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis skills, and relevant software (NVivov, STATA, SPSS);
- Extensive experience with Excel;
- Experience in the design and conduct of formative, operations and evaluation research;
- Demonstrated successful project management skills, along with maturity, diplomacy, and independence to work effectively with in-country partners, donors and project staff
- Strong networking and negotiation skills in order to identify, cultivate and sustain viable relationships with donors and other partners as well as communicate knowledgeably about project concepts, progress and impact;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to effectively manage and juggle multiple priorities;
- High-level of proficiency in English required; proficiency in the following local languages is highly prefered: Rendille, Samburu, Borana and Gabra.
- Experience with Positive Youth Development (PYD) and gender transformative approaches preferred.
Key Areas and Main Responsibilities
Documentation and Research
- Co-manage with the project research partner the implementation of a baseline community appraisal, and assist with subsequent data analysis.
- Produce project-related technical deliverables, including research briefs, power point presentations, white papers, and M&E guidelines, training modules, indicators and frameworks;
- Collaborate with the Senior Technical Advisor for Child, Early and Forced Marriage (CEFM) and Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) and project manager to develop technical documentation based on project achievements such as briefs, abstracts, concept notes…
- Provide mentoring/training/refresher trainings to project staff (especially those responsible for completing monitoring forms) on the M&E tools and systems, including the MIS
- Provide oversight to project staff’s data collection and data entry activities, ensuring data quality through regular data quality checks;
- Coordinate regularly with project staff to identify and troubleshoot any issues with the M&E system;
- Lead and participate in quality assurance and improvement exercises, including standards settings, regular measurement of performance according to those standards, and collaborative reviews to assess quality
- Provide technical assistance on the utilization of data and evidence;
- Work with relevant stakeholders to enhance data use in advocacy and in decision-making related to optimal strategies and interventions
Monitoring and evaluation
- Work closely with project staff and partners in the design of the project’s M&E tools and systems (including the MIS) and MEL Plan;
- Ensuring that the MIS provides relevant information without overburdening implementation staff and work closely with staff to identify areas where specific components of the MIS are not delivering required information or are proving overly burdensome to implement so the MIS is adapted to program and evaluation needs.
- Analyse the project’s monitoring data for inclusion in quarterly reports to USAID; draft sharp and comprehensive syntheses based on data analysis, to be included in quarterly report-writing for USAID;
- Collaborate with project staff to regularly review the monitoring data and recommend shifts in project implementation, if needed;
- Write high quality reports, papers, training materials, and more informal products such as blogs and success stories, based on project data;
- Maintain and update the projects’ MEL Plan, indicators, and M&E tools and systems, as needed;
- Manage M&E activities related to the performance of programs, including M&E design; selection and measurement of appropriate indicators; development of appropriate M&E recording and reporting forms and mechanisms; data quality assurance processes and systems; database maintenance; appropriate data analysis; and appropriate dissemination or results
- Contribute to the design of methodologies and data collection methods and protocols for performance and impact evaluations;
- Participate to quarterly project review meetings with Amref USA
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter before March 08th, 2018 to email@example.com with the subject line: REF: Amref/RMNCAH/2018/02-04.
Applicants who speak/understand the following local languages are strongly encouraged to apply: Rendille, Samburu, Borana and Gabra.
This positions are reserved for Kenyan nationals only.