Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
Job Vacancy: IT Systems & Network Administrator
Description: Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a research and advisory organization that pursues two twin missions of advancing behavioral science and alleviating poverty.
We work with researchers, practitioners, and policy-makers to conduct rigorous field and laboratory-based experimental studies in behavioral economics in developing countries and apply research outcomes to real-world problems.
We are headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with active project operations in Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Nigeria.
Busara greatly relies on computer systems in all areas of its operations and decision-making processes. It’s therefore critical to ensure that IT systems and networks are functional and available at all times.
The IT Systems & Network Administrator monitors and maintains the computer systems and networks of Busara ensuring installation and configuration of computer systems, diagnosing hardware and software faults and solve technical and applications problems, either over the phone, remotely accessing the device or in person.
The IT System & Network Administrator is mainly responsible for the smooth running of computer systems and ensuring users get maximum benefits from them.
- Install and configure computer hardware operating systems and applications.
- Monitor and maintain computer systems and networks.
- Maintain servers, work stations and networking equipment in accordance with regulations and requirements.
- Take staff through a series of actions, either remotely accessing the device, face-to-face or over the phone, to help set up systems or resolve issues.
- Troubleshoot system and network problems, diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults.
- Analyze trends in data usage and propose effective solutions to prevent system and server overloads
- Replace faulty parts as required.
- Provide support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports.
- Follow diagrams and written instructions to repair a fault or set up a system.
- Support the roll-out of new applications.
- Set up new users’ accounts and profiles and deal with password issues.
- Respond within agreed time limits to call-outs.
- Work continuously on a task until completion (or referral to third parties, if appropriate).
- Prioritize and manage many open cases at one time.
- Rapidly establish a good working relationship with Staff and other IT vendors that deal with Busara. E.g. Internet service providers – ensuring internet bills are paid on time and troubleshooting when there is loss of connectivity. Hardware and software vendors – ensuring the correct items are purchased and inspected before acceptance for Busara’s use.
- Test and evaluate new technology to enhance Busara’s IT System.
- Conduct electrical safety checks on computer equipment.
- Oversee major IT infrastructure projects.
- Send weekly IT system reports indicating recommendations and summaries to assist management in decision making.
- Proactively manage and mitigate problems before they occur.
- Create work plans on monthly, quarterly and annual deliverables so as to measure performance.
- IT inventory maintenance and management.
- Ensure compliance to all internal ICT and business policies and procedures, and with external laws and regulations
- A Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in IT, Business IT, Computer Science, or related fields
- At least 2 years previous work experience in a similar capacity
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Ability to think logically
- Good working memory of how software and operating systems work.
- Good networking skills and system admin skills,
- Excellent listening and questioning skills, combined with the ability to interact confidently with staff to establish what the problem is and explain the solution.
- Problem solving skills.
- Strong customer focus.
- Attention to detail.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online