Job Vacancy: East Africa Communications Coordinator
Educate! is looking for a collaborative and detail-oriented team player with sharp communications skills to join our high growth non-profit social enterprise at a pivotal moment.
As East Africa Communications Coordinator, you will pioneer this new role, serving as an indispensable player in executing Educate!’s government and stakeholder engagement strategies in Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya.
You will use your excellent writing skills to engage key audiences and your collaborative work style to manage priorities across country teams.
This role serves to directly elevate Educate!’s in-country visibility so that we can work towards integrating our model into national education systems, enabling us to achieve our Vision for 2024 of reaching four million students across Africa each year.
As the East Africa Communications Coordinator, you will support the Communications Associate by executing Educate!’s communication strategies, collaborating on marketing and event promotion, ensuring brand and messaging consistency across three countries, and supporting with relationship management.
This position is great for an ambitious individual excited to learn communications best practices and to build a meaningful career in the nonprofit sector by learning the ins and outs of a first-class organization like Educate!.
The role is part of our passionate, overachieving External Relations team based in the United States and Uganda and works closely with our National Programs team in Uganda and Rwanda.
The position may be based in Nairobi, Kampala, or Kigali, with a preference for Nairobi.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities. Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school.
Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2018, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda and over 700 schools in Uganda, reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!’s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
Execute East Africa Communications Strategies (40%)
- Produce content strategically tied to Educate!’s key messages that will keep our East African stakeholders informed and engaged,
- Measure and monitor audience engagement and make recommendations to optimize impact
- Work across departments to gather compelling stories and statistics that demonstrate Educate! as the leader in skills-based education.
Stakeholder Engagement Support (30%)
- Support with the design and implementation of relationship management processes in Salesforce and maintain the database so that engagement activities are captured and easily shared with, and accessed by, each country team
- Support team in engagement activities, which might include drafting emails, conducting research, and on-site visits.
Marketing and Event Promotion (20%)
- Create eye-catching, audience-targeted marketing materials that position Educate! as a leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa.
- Support with event promotional campaigns to increase awareness of, and attendance to, Educate! sponsored events.
Brand Guardianship and Messaging Alignment (10%)
- Be our first line of defense to ensure that branding and messaging to government is aligned with Educate!’s core messaging and branding standards.
- Become an expert in Educate!’s East African communications standards and review content produced by the US team to ensure our relationships in Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya are represented appropriately.
We’re looking for a writing enthusiast who thrives in a collaborative work environment and seizes any opportunity to engage our primary audiences in compelling ways.
This person should have a minimum of 1-2 years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Graphic design and proficiency in Luganda, Kiswahili, and/or Ikinyarwanda is a plus.
This person should fit our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- This position can be based out of our office in Nairobi, Kampala, or Kigali with a preference for Nairobi
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience
- Benefits include health insurance and a generous vacation policy
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We expanded 10x since 2014, going from 54 to almost 600 schools served today in Uganda and Rwanda. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at scale.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former US Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you?
Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential.
We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
The application deadline will be rolling, with the priority deadline being February 28, 2018.