Job Vacancy: Environmental Health and Safety Officer
Job Summary: Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, the job holder will create awareness on Environment, health and safety to staff and ensure EHS requirements and standards are implemented & maintained
Key Responsibility Areas
- Ensure compliance with Environmental, Health and Safety Laws and requirements.
- Evaluate the workplace environment and develop safety-management policies that identify and define the safety responsibilities of all employees.
- Continually maintain an appropriate level of awareness, knowledge and preparedness across the organization which should include first aid and fire marshals.
- Liaise with relevant regulatory authorities on securing new, and reporting on existing operations, permits and licenses in a timely manner.
- Lead formal risk assessment for the evaluation and management of occupational EHS hazards across the company’s activities and branches /sites.
- Coordinate with various departments/ functional units to identify key risk areas and priorities, produce and maintain EHS risk registers.
- Engage with, audit and report on third party contractor required to meet Corporate EHS policy and procedures.
- Ensure all accidents and incidents are recorded, investigated and corrective and preventive actions are taken based on the findings and maintain an incident Register.
- Prepare EHS internal and external audit schedules, ensure implementation of the same. The schedules shall include NEMA environment self-audit, OSHA audit, noise survey, fire audit and city council fire inspection and clearance.
- Conduct fire drills and co-ordinate firefighting equipment service.
- Schedule and facilitate safety committee meetings at a minimum quarterly.
- Set corporate targets and goals for EHS performance improvement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be in possession of a science based Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University.
- Professional qualification in EHS
- Over 2 year’s relevant experience, of which 2 years should be in a food manufacturing or hospitality industry.
- Practical experience in Kenyan EHS regulations and the use of formal EHS risk assessments.
- Familiarity with International Environmental Management Systems and Health and Safety Management systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of integrated management system ISO 9001, HACCP, ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 standard plus any other management systems that may apply.
- Good leadership skills
- Interpersonal & good communication skills
- Flexible and adaptable
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Able to work under pressure and with minimal supervision
- Ability to inspect, evaluate work of subordinates
- Result oriented.
If the above profile describes you, this could be the big opportunity you have been looking for please send a CV and cover letter outlining your availability and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org before 16th February, 2018.