Job Title: General Manager
Section(s): Overall company
Reports to: Chairman, Board Of Directors
Manages: Directly – All management staff
- Provide leadership, direction and co-ordination of all activities of the company in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Company.
- Safeguard and grow the assets of the organization for future generations while providing sound returns to the shareholders.
East African Sales and Distribution footprint covering Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Group Finance, Group Supply Chain, and HR led from Nairobi base with warehousing sales points across several Cities and Towns in East Africa. Sales and Distribution management coordinated at country level.
Overall responsibility for day-to-day running of the business ensuring both long term sustainability and profitability.
Key Result Areas
- Board administration and support. – Support operations and administration of Board by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff.
- Program, product and Service Delivery – design product offerings, marketing, promotion, sales, delivery and quality of support services.
- Strategy development, planning and reporting -Taking a proactive role in the formulation of future strategic objectives and bringing them to the Board for input, discussion and decision as to ratification. Ensure that strong strategic and annual planning processes are in place to produce effective plans for approval by the Board. Ensuring that all financial and non financial reporting requirements are met on a timely and regular basis.
- Operational Management – Ensuring that the day to day operations of the organization are effectively and efficiently coordinated and implemented and conducted within the framework agreed to by the Board. Ensure implementation of stringent project management processes to ensure the timely and cost effective development of the key projects undertaken by the company.
- Personnel – ensure the development and maintenance of equitable personnel policies which are consistent with corporate policies, industry and markets in which the company operates. Overall responsibility for protecting the interest and welfare of employees and establishment of suitable communication lines with them or their representatives. Direct and determine promotions, demotions, dismissals and other actions needed. Ensure the recruitment of appropriately skilled staff to positions, and establish appropriate remuneration levels and performance based conditions for staff within the framework agreed by the Board.
- Financial, Tax risk and facilities management- recommend yearly budget for Board approval and prudent management of the organization’s resources within those budget guidelines.
- Community and public relations – Assure the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Responsibility for ensuring consistent & acceptable returns to the shareholders.
Decisions and Judgements
- Working with the Board of Directors, provide professional, accurate, and strategic advice.
- Implementation and delivery of Board of Directors’ decisions and policies.
- Provision of an effective interface between the role of directors and management.
Communications and Relationships
- Accountability to the Board for internal relationships with direct reports and for external relationships with suppliers, customers and the industry.
- The conduct of these relationships may be delegated but not so far as to avoid the ultimate accountability for the morale of the employees, the image of the company or its standing in the community at large.
- Internal relationships with all the managers.
Competencies & Personal Attributes
- Strong leadership skills
- Well proven problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills both internal & external.
- Strong strategy formulation skills
- Ability to display a high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Strong commitment to organizational excellence
- Highly developed sense of responsibility
- Proven experience in the sales & marketing of FMCG
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
Expertise and Minimum requirement
- Academic qualification: BSc (Hons)
- Relevant professional qualification: MBA ( Added advantage)
- Good working knowledge of: Alcoholic Drinks, Tobacco sectors
- Relevant experience: 5 – 10 years experience in Industry at Senior Management Level
- General computer skills: MS office applications
- Specialised software training: N/A
Applicants who meet the requirements stated above should send their applications and detailed CVs with a day – time telephone number to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with General Manager on the Subject line.