The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The Regional Delegation in Nairobi is seeking for an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of:
Employment Opportunity: EcoSec Field Officer
(Open to Kenyan nationals only)
Overall Responsibility: The field officer is responsible for the implementation of the EcoSec activities and resources in the areas of assignment. S/he conducts assessments, implements interventions together with KRCS under the overall supervision of EcoSec Coordinator in Nairobi.
The position will be based in Nairobi with at least 75% field travel (Lamu, Tana River and Garissa counties, but extendable to other counties).
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assist the EcoSec Program Manager in all aspects of the planning and implementation of Micro Economic Intiatives (MEI) programme, Relief or Agro distributions in Kenya, (together with Kenya Red Cross Soceity – KRCS);
- Economic data collection, monitoring and analysis, general economic security assessments, post-distribution monitoring (Agro & Relief/ad hoc) and food basket analysis;
- Conducts Monthly Market survey as per the guidelines provided by EcoSec Program Manager;
- Trains and coaches field teams on the implementation of Village Savings and Loans Association;
- Executes administrative and office work related to projects;
- Assist the EcoSec delegate in establishing and extending contacts with relevant Government authorities (e.g. Ministry of Economy, Ministry of Agriculture, Head of Statistics Committee etc) at regional, district and village administrations;
- Assist the EcoSec Program Manager and other colleagues in all aspects of field work as required;
- Provides practical advice and feedback from local populations to the EcoSec delegate on issues or problems related to the implementation of EcoSec programmes;
- Collects information on the socio-economic and humanitarian situation from all available primary and secondary sources;
- Contributes to weekly/Monthly/Quarterly, reporting activities, and ad hoc reports (field trips, minutes of meetings, analytical docs, monitoring etc);
- Contributes to the analysis of the security, socio-economic, cultural and political environment relevant to the ICRC and share relevant information with colleagues;
- Advises on culture, politics, general situation and share relevant information related to the context.
- University degree in Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies, Sociology, Animal Production, Veterinary Science or related fields;
- 4 years’ work experience in a similar field;
- At least 2 years’ experience of managing and implementing, designing Village Savings and Loan Associations projects, microenterprise development, microeconomic initiatives, relief interventions, cash transfer programs, unconditional and conditional cash transfer;
- At least 1 year of experience working as trainer of Business management skills for communities;
- Proven experience of conducting livelihood assessments;
- Good knowledge of geographically assigned environment;
- Team leadership skills with excellent communication, analytical, reporting and influential skills;
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Excellent in collaborative work with partners.
How to Apply:
Interested persons with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to: Human Resource Office at the e-mail address; firstname.lastname@example.org before 4th March, 2018 (indicate the position title in the subject line).
Please include: detailed Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter, copies of relevant certificates, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
NB: only emailed applications will be considered
The ICRC does not charge a fee at any single stage of the recruitment process