Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration)
Vacancy Advertisement: Chief Legal Officer
Ref: JKU/CLO/ 11/18
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) seeks to recruit a suitable individual to fill the position of the Chief Legal Officer, Grade 15 to provide expert legal services in a wide variety of litigious matters and disputes, advise and provide general legal counsel and assist in general university legal matters.
In particular, the Chief Legal Officer will oversee the representation of JKUAT in litigation, administrative proceedings and alternative disputes resolution proceedings, provide legal, tactical and strategic advise to JKUAT’s administration and its many departments, laboratories and centers; and assume a leadership role in developing appropriate legal, risk management and compliance policies, practices and education.
The Chief Legal Officer shall report directly to the Vice Chancellor.
- A degree in Law from a University recognized in Kenya;
- A Post Graduate qualification in Law from Kenya School of Law;
- An Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Have at least Fifteen (15) years of relevant work experience;
- Served for a minimum period of three(3) years in the grade of Principal Legal Officer, Grade 14;
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and maintain organized work habits;
- Self-motivated, confident and possessing good communication skills;
- Exemplary inter personal skills with good persuasion and negotiation skills;
- A strong team player, creative and innovative;
- General administrative experience will be an added advantage.
A Post Graduate degree in Law will be an added advantage
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit three (3) copies of their applications, updated curriculum vitae and copies of academic and professional certificates and testimonials plus names and addresses of three referees and day time telephone contact.
The applicants shall request their referees to forward reports of their suitability to the undersigned, directly.
Applicants must also submit the following:
1. Clearance from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
2. Clearance from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
3. Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
4. Certificate of Good Conduct from Criminal Investigation Department (CID)
5. Clearance from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
(i) Submit three (3) copies of the letters of application, certified copies of academic certificates, testimonials and updated curriculum vitae to include full details of education and professional qualifications, experience, present salary, names and addresses of three referees, one of whom must be from the present employment.
(ii) Indicate clearly the position on the application letter and on the envelope which should be addressed to:
The Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration),
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology,
P.O. Box 62000-00200,
So as to reach him/her not later than 7th March, 2018 at 5:00p.m.
NB: Candidates who had applied earlier need not re-apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
JKUAT is an equal opportunity employer.