Job Vacancy: Director & Chief Executive Officer
Our client, Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI) is a state corporation established in 1986 under the Science and Technology Act (which has since been repealed by the Science, Technology and Innovation Act No. 28) to undertake research ¡n forestry and allied natural resources and generate and promote improved technologies for sustainable development.
The institute is implementing the 5th Strategic plan that has been aligned to the Medium Term Plan (MTP) II of Vision 2030 and the National Forestry Programme (2017-2030). KEFRI is both EMS 14001:2004 and QMS 9001:2008 certified.
The tenure of the current Director and Chief Executive Officer is expiring and the Board of KEFRI is now seeking to recruit an exceptional and visionary leader with excellent research, professional and high ethical standing to fill this position.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the holder of this position is responsible for providing Research Leadership as well as overall strategic leadership to the organisation.
The Director and CEO designate will also be responsible for day-to-day running of the Institution on behalf of the Board of Directors and will be the vision carrier spearheading its core mandate in the promotion of research in forestry and allied natural resources against which set corporate goals and objectives will be matched with performance targets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide Research and Strategic leadership in the formulation, development, implementation and evaluation of the Institute’s
programmes and plans to support the achievement of the Institution’s mandate in research;
- Develop and recommend to the Board the Institute’s strategies and business plan and ensure that they align to the budget while
establishing appropriate internal monitoring and control systems and procedures of the Institute’s policies and procedures;
- Direct and coordinate the Institute’s operations and administration to ensure that the Institution’s Regional centres and Thematic areas of key research focus operate in conformity with the overall strategic plan and performance targets;
- Promote innovation and best practices in idea generation, concept formation and research execution;
- Provide leadership in resource mobilization both externally and internally by facilitating contractual arrangements in order to mobilize research funding to propagate the development of new frontiers in research;
- Lead the promotion and implementation of sound legal and regulatory framework to support Forestry Research and Development and ensure that the Institute complies with the relevant Kenyan laws;
- Act as the secretary to the Board of Management so as to ensure that Board decisions are implemented promptly in the Institute;
- Create and maintain strong local and global collaborations, linkages, networks and partnerships with key stakeholders;
- Promote the Institute’s corporate image and develop good working relationship with all stakeholders, donors and partners while promoting the principles of good governance;
- Maintain a conducive work environment for attracting, retaining and motivating employees while fostering a corporate culture that
promotes integrity, high ethical practices and noble corporate citizenship; and
- Oversee prudent management of the Institute’s Pension fund.
- Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Studies or any other relevant discipline from a recognized Institution;
- A minimum of at least 15 publications in accredited and ranked international journals;
- Possess a Strategic Leadership Development Certification from a recognised institution;
- At least fifteen (15) years’ relevant experience with at least five (5) years in senior management;
- Demonstrated capability of progressive resource mobilisation skills having won a minimum of two grant winning proposals in the last five years; and
- Must be a member of the Forestry Society of Kenya and be in good standing.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 including;
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board
- Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Report from an Approved Credit Reference Bureau; and
- Clearance from Commission for University Education for degrees obtained outside Kenya.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role above, please submit your application including copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your curriculum vitae, including among other details your current position, current remuneration, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
To be considered, your application must be received by Tuesday 6 March 2018 addressed to:
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
P.O Box 40092-00100
Waiyaki Way Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
KEFRI is an equal opportunity employer and any form of canvassing will automatically lead to disqualification.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touché Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee, and its network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Touché Tohmatsu Limited and its member firms.
© 2018 Deloitte Consulting Limited