KEMRI | Wellcome Trust
Job Vacancy: Research Officer
Reference Number: RO-300118
Overall Job Purpose: To assist the principal investigator to oversee the design and implementation of a study whose aim to examine costs of providing health services for Tuberculosis patients in Kenya.
Specifically, the study will entail a facility based survey to examine the unit costs of providing a defined package of TB services in healthcare facilities.
The position requires competency in quantitative research methods, healthcare costing, and knowledge of healthcare service provision in Kenya.
Reports To: Principal Investigator
Directly Supervises: None
Indirectly Supervises: None
Budget and Resource Responsibility: None
Job Dimensions: The primary responsibility will be to assist in the implementation and write up of a research project entitled “Costing the delivery of tuberculosis services in public, faith based, and private healthcare facilities in Kenya”. The research will be carried out in nationally representative sample of healthcare providers in Kenya
For the Health Economics Research Unit (HERU) to:
- Develop and pilot costing data collection tools
- Oversee the costing data collection in a sample of healthcare facilities
- Supervise Assistant Research Officers and Field workers during the period of data collection
- Analyze costing data
- Prepare and submit research papers for publication as required.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a health-related subject (e.g. Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing)
- A Master’s degree in health economics or health systems
- At least 3 years of work experience
- Quantitative data analysis skills
- Experience in conducting costing studies
- Experience working in the Kenyan health system
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications.
- Experience in qualitative research methods
- Applicants should have interest and ideally experience in health systems the Kenyan health sector
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Good writing skills
- Good presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills a meticulous approach to documentation (including word processing and spreadsheet skills)
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work with limited supervision and meet deadlines
- Office based
- Health facilities and households across the country
- Willingness to travel throughout the country
Requires flexibility in the hours worked, with the priority being meeting the team’s research goals
CLICK HERE to apply for this position online.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 13th February 2018.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).