Our client is one of the leading Law firm committed to providing excellent legal service in Criminal Law, Banking & Finance, Aviation Law, Corporate & Company Law, Conveyancing & Alternative Disputes Resolution.
Are you an aggressive Litigation Advocate who is confident, ambitious, resourceful and good with legal matters?
Are you interested in being part of a team focused towards transforming the legal sector in Kenya and beyond the East African region?
If so, then this is the job you are looking for.
Our client would like to fill the position of a Litigation Advocate who will be reporting to the Managing Partner.
Purpose Statement of the Position: Responsible for handling a variety of complex assigned legal matters within the department. Applies subject matter knowledge; requires capacity to understand specific needs or requirements to apply skills / knowledge.
May provide functional advice or training to less experienced advocates.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drafting and reviewing of litigation documents including pleadings, notices, affidavits & correspondence;
- Furnishing legal opinions and advice on any areas of the law arising in civil & commercial litigation
- Consultations with clients and counsel
- Reviewing new legislations
- Attending court at the High Court and Magistrate’s Court
- Conducting negotiations with a view to settling potentially litigious matters
- Conducting the administration of an attorney’s practice, including file management and electronic time-keeping
- Draw up contracts and other legal documents ensuring attention to detail
Case & Transaction management:
- To be able to demonstrate that they are technically very able across a sufficiently wide area, able to work without significant supervision and have developed a particular strength and reputation in their work area.
- To be able to show a track record of achieving their fee targets and time targets and that the targets are appropriate for their position and level of qualification.
- To provide a high quality legal service to all clients.
- Offering advice on the law, legal procedures and a wide range of associated issues
- Research on diverse range of assigned issues, documents and case history to ensure accuracy of advice and procedures
- Keeping up-to-date with changes in the law
Client care & Practice support:
- Receive requests for legal advice from current and potential clients and deciding on the most appropriate responses to make to these requests.
- To develop and maintain good client relationship skills, gaining clients’ confidence and that of other professionals
- To be strategic and commercially aware and be fully familiar with the firm’s current strategy. Be able to have knowledgeable discussion about the market the firm operates in, the threats and opportunities the department faces and the future plans for the
- Department and their role in those plans.
- Attract additional business from new and existing clients.
- To have a clear understanding of what it would take to develop a career to the next level.
- Attend internal training and external training as and when required.
- Maintain high standards of professional conduct while generating adequate practice income, ensuring that the fees earned sufficiently exceed total costs and expenses incurred.
- Proven track record of effectively delegating work to other members of the department and supervising the work effectively.
- Successfully be in charge of a matter that involves other departments.
Dedication to the firm:
- Participate in team meetings
- Ability to identify projects and use their initiative to get them up and running.
- LLB Degree from a recognised University
- Must hold the most current Practising Certificate as an Advocate of the High court of Kenya.
- A minimum of 5 years’ work experience in a busy Litigation department preferably with a top tier law firm is highly desirable.
- Experience in handling defamation cases is highly desirable.
- A successful track record in Civil & Commercial litigation will be an added advantage.
Competencies and Skills required
- Broad base of legal practice experience
- Excellent communication, presentation, research & analytical skills.
- Demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills
- Developed interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with clients and individuals at all levels across the Firm
- Ability to foster positive relationships with all individuals across the Firm
- Must have high moral integrity and character
- Highly organized and good time management skills
- PC and other relevant technology competencies (e.g., Microsoft applications)
- Focused on performance and results
- Poised to work under pressure with very little supervision
- Focused and inquisitive learner, proactively pursues opportunities to build expertise and skills
- Desire and ability to learn from and confer on an ongoing basis with other Advocates of the Firm when the handling matters with a view to continuously developing professional knowledge and expertise;
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and focus
How to Apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please make your application through our website www.dorbe-leit.co.ke vacancy page before close of business 12th February 2018.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.