Job Title: Senior Software Engineer
Language: Excellent spoken and written English
Location: Kenya / Uganda
Report to: Software Development Manager
The Organization: Living Goods (LG) aims to improve the lives of tens of millions of underserved people by transforming community health services across the developing world. We have developed a model that has been independently proven to reduce child mortality by 27%. We continue to realize these results at a net cost of less than $2 per person per year.
Our goal now is to achieve multi-national scale and to truly create systemic change that allows long-term sustainable financing of community health. It is clear that success will require us to do more than grow our operations. We must also scale through large, strategic partnerships with government and NGO partners. This is where you come in!
The Opportunity: Living Goods is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our team in Nairobi. We believe that technology is an increasingly powerful and positive disruptive force in enabling Living Goods to provide effective community health service and drive impact.
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will lead our Kenya technology team in designing, developing, testing, and rolling out, and supporting technology innovations to support LGK operations. You will provide management leadership for Tech projects though coordination and supervision of the implementation of project activities.
Support product management and product design for all technology products, whether developed in-house at Living Goods or developed by vendors, ensuring effective communication across actors.
Pioneer and implement game-changing innovations while managing Living Goods’ mission critical technologies, including mobile tools, data management systems and software needs.
- Join engineering team tasked with continuous development of the Living Goods platform.
- Contribute to design, development, and maintenance of features on the Living Goods platform, including new feature development, fixing bugs, code review and scalability testing.
- Work directly with Living Good’s partners and customers to understand usability, address issues, and receive feedback.
- Monitoring of cloud platform and mobile network operator (MNO) infrastructure.
- Work directly with our support team, customers and vendors to resolve issues.
- Report in daily scrums on milestones, progress towards tasks, barriers needing attention, etc. Log all development activities inside Echo’s task management system.
- Guide and influence the direction of the product. Creative ideas are always welcome.
- Work with designers and project managers to ensure that systems designs are feasible and building upon past work. Be available to other teammates who may be building other systems, to maintain best practices and quality.
- Bachelor’s degree in Software development, IT, Software Engineering or related field.
- 5 years’ experience in software development.
- Ability to forge ahead and independently, demonstrate effective collaboration with teams across different functions.
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful APIs.
- Have developed, deployed, and maintained production web applications.
- Have experience in Java, Python, C++ and even better if you are an expert in any of them.
- Are productive in a UNIX-like environment: you can script your way out trouble, and build software you need from source code if necessary.
- Understand the basics of database systems – both SQL and NoSQL databases, and can become proficient with any one of a wide variety of them without too much trouble.
- Are capable of picking up front-end JS frameworks, such as AngularJS, ReactJS, even better if you are already a master with one of them.
- Proven experience in developing and maintaining highly scalable Node.js micro services.
- Enjoy working closely with and learning from designers to iterate upon solutions and solve problems together.
- Experience leading and/or mentoring a small team of developers.
- Perfectionism: knowing how it should be done and not stop until it’s done right.
- Can communicate effectively in English over video and text chats as part of a results-focused distributed team.
- Ability to work through ambiguity and deal with shifting priorities.
Compensation: A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be your best while making lives better for those in need.
Life at Living Goods: Living Goods is aiming to make disruptive changes, dramatically improving the lives of underserved communities. We think big, but we operate small and nimble. At Living Goods, you will have the chance to use your creativity and work with your teammates to conceive and test new ideas every day.
If you work well in a dynamic, highly collaborative culture, if you set high standards for yourself and your colleagues, if you know how to fail fast and learn fast, if you meet challenges with calm determination and a sense of humor, you will thrive at Living Goods.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE to apply online or visit our career page and apply for Senior Software Engineer through our applicant tracking system. Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
For more information about Living Goods, please visit: http://bit.ly/2fl6rN1
Follow us @Living_Goods.