Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France.
It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
I. Context of intervention
Vacant Position: Administrative Coordinator
Starting date: 1st April 2018
Availability: 12 months
Country: Kenya / Somalia
II. Essential duties
Responsibilities: The Administrative Coordinator is responsible for the legal framework, the accounting, the budget follow-up, the HR management for both the Somali and the Kenyan mission.
1. Legal framework
- Ensure compliance with the formalities required by the government agencies and other local authorities, in Kenya and Somalia in due time (i.e. registration of MdM, respect of labour law, legal monitoring, etc.)
- Prepares the various contracts for Human Resources (i.e. work contract, insurance, medical cover, etc.) and reviews the contracts established by other departments (i.e logistics);
- Is responsible for the preparation and updating of the documents retracing all of the administrative, financial and human resources procedures of the mission. Supports the program department in the creation of operating documents (i.e. MoU, partnership agreements, etc.)
- Checks on the existence, monitoring and the archiving of all these documents- internal procedures and rules, contractual documents (work and rental contracts for instance, MoU…)
- Is responsible for the accounting & finance procedures in Bosaso and Nairobi offices and Harm Reduction project in Nairobi and ensures it is in compliance with the MdM HQ policies.
- Supports the Site Coordinators for any administrative, accounting and financial issue;
- Cash management and bank operations:
- Is responsible for the management of the cash holdings (weekly cash advance, enough cash in safe, cash control, payment of utilities, etc.)
- Is responsible for the management of the bank accounts in Nairobi and Bosaso and supervises the management of the bank accounts in the field (transfers, deposits, withdrawals…);
- Supervises and controls the Administrative Officers’ assessment of the financial requirements for the mission’s sites for the coming month and submits the compiled fund request to HQ according to MdM HQ agenda;
Accountancy (use of SAGA)
- Verifies all receipts and invoices related to month-end accountancy sent by the Administrative Officers.
- Finalizes and sends the month-end accountancy (SAGA soft copy and hard copies) to HQ before the 10th of the month.
- Supervises the archiving of the accounting documents in the field and at Nairobi level;
- Ensures the audit of accounts is done monthly before they are sent to HQ and validates the annual audits for the Kenyan auditor.
- Establishes the budget for new projects, for the annual budget exercise and for the mid-year revised budget exercise (with involvement of all departments);
- Prepares a monthly budget follow-up for the mission’s annual budgets and per donor and shares and analyses it with the different departments;
- With the Logistics and Program’s responsible, prepares the expenses forecast for the coming months.
3. Funding & donors
- Drafts the financial part of project proposals, requests for amendments and intermediary/final reports for the donors.
- Ensures appropriate follow-up of the current funding plan, as well as MdM commitments to donors.
- Ensures the donor’s related documents are filed and that requirements are respected (ie on use of assets, on financial constraints, etc.)
- Prepares the financial reports for HQ and donors and provides variance analysis.
- Check the compliance of donor’s rules and MdM use.
4. Human Resources Management
Administrative management of the national staff:
- Is responsible for the application of the recruitment procedure within both offices;
- Supervises the diffusion of job advertisements, and pre-selection of the applicants in compliance with the local legislation and/or the local “rules” (in Somalia, in accordance with the local committees);
- Participates in the induction of all new employees within MdM mission in Nairobi;
- Ensures the application of local legislation concerning the national personnel (administrative formalities associated with employment, work contracts, etc.)
- Ensures the personal files are updated and contain all required and relevant information;
- Updates the Human Resources documents on a yearly basis and whenever a change in the Labour law arises (for Conditions of Employments, Internal Regulations, Organizational charts, etc.);
- Ensures the Job Descriptions are updated and archived (soft and hard copies);
- Updates the salary grid on a yearly basis, after validation from MdM HQ and the General Coordinator;
- Supervises the establishment of the monthly pay slips and the payment of the taxes;
- Facilitates/coordinates the yearly appraisal exercise for all MdM employees;
- Prepares the training agenda and plan for the Coordination team and for HQ;
- Works on the capacity building of the Administrative Officers in the view of promoting them in hiring position if relevant.
Administrative management of the expatriate staff:
- Ensures the application of local legislation concerning the expatriate personnel (visas, work permits, income tax…) and their registration (local authorities, embassies…);
- Follows-up on visa and flight tickets renewal dates;
- Update the accommodation rules on a yearly basis and applies them once validated by HQ and the General Coordinator;
- Makes arrival briefings about the administrative and contractual aspects.
5. Other responsibilities
- Prepares the monthly admin report and sends it to the GenCo before the 5th of the month.
- Ensures general information are shared and understood by the team. Ensures the communication board in both offices contains all legal and internal required information.
- Ensures the archiving procedure and proper filing process in the offices is respected;
- Ensures that copy or originals of all legal documents and contracts are timely sent to Paris HQ;
- Updates the finance and administrative guidelines. Ensure they are known to the staff and respected.
6. Programme related activities
Regularly assesses the capacity of MdM partners, drafts capacity building plan together with GenCo and provides support in its application.
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
III. Hierarchical & Functional links
The Administrative Coordinator is put under the responsibility of the General Coordinator.
S/he manages directly the administrative team (2 national staff) in Nairobi and Bosaso.
- 1 General coordinator
- 1 Medical coordinator
- 1 Administrative coordinator
- 1 Logistic Coordinator
- 1 Program Coordinator Kenya
- 1 Program Coordinator Somalia
IV. Background of the candidate
- Sex: Indifferent
- Humanitarian experience: Yes
- Nationality: No preference
- Emergency experience: Yes
- Coordination experience: Yes
- Language: English – Fluent
- Language: French – Added value
- Computer skills: Advanced Excel (pivot tables, etc.)
- Driving licence: Not necessary
- Master in Business Administration or equivalent
- Experience in a similar position
- Experience in Human Resources (policy tools and management)
- Experience in acknowledging and take into account the labour law in the HR mission policy
- Experience in following NGO legal status and registration, negotiation in difficult context
- Excellent skills in finances
- Excellent computer skills (especially Excel)
- Experience in management of multi-donors / multi projects budgets
- Excellent skills in financial reporting
- Capacity and willingness to train and enhance the capacity of local staff and partners
- Experience in multi bases missions would be a +
- Capacity to grasp and understand the cultural context of the mission(s)
- Knowledge and understanding of Project Cycle Management
- Legal experience or knowledge of Labour Law
- Good knowledge of international donors
- Knowledge of SAGA would be a real asset
Personal skills required:
- Organisational skills, rigor
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities
- Patience, listening and diplomacy skills
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- Ability to work both autonomously and within a team
- Capacity to manage stress while living and working in potential tense conditions
- Knowledge of the countries could be valued
Strong Kenyan applications are strongly encouraged. International applications will also be taken into consideration
If you believe you are the ideal candidates we are looking for, please submit your application with a CV and a cover letter to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org with the title: ‘Administrative Coordinator’
Closing date is 28th February 2018.
Only shortlisted applicant will be contacted.
No application will be considered after the closing date.