Vacant Position: Global Director Government Relations and Policy
Location: Kenya / Rwanda (with travel internationally required 8 to 10 weeks per year)
Job Summary: The Government Relations and Policy Director will be required to work with governments at a local, national, and regional level to advocate on behalf of the organization’s clients.
He/she will build relationships with government officials to keep them informed about the Client’s work, ensure the organization comply with all laws related to the Client’s field work, and create opportunities to better serve the organization’s clients.
The team will also advocate across Africa, the United States, and Europe to improve policies that benefit smallholder farmers. The Global Director of Government Relations and Policy will lead the team as it expands into new countries and new policy landscapes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing a team of 50+ government relations staffers with local, national, and regional portfolios
- Mentoring individual staff members to become stronger leaders and more effective managers
- Setting the vision for government relations operations in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia and all pilot countries
- Leading strategy for policy and advocacy projects across Africa, the United States and Europe
- Driving organizational risk management on key issues related to political and immigration trends in the countries where we operate
- Ensuring government relations staff provide clear analysis and support to our organization’s leadership on expansion planning, both in new and existing countries
- Ensuring all required licenses and registrations are secured for the complete portfolio of products offered in each country program, including in new fields like nutrition
Key Competencies & Qualifications
- Must at least 8-10+ years’ work experience and a demonstrated passion for international development.
- Must have experience working with governments on behalf of organizations or policy initiatives
- Current relationships within the government, or ability to create relationships quickly at all levels of government Significant experience working in international development or related industries, ideally in work that touches on the private sector or social enterprises.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large, multi-country teams with varied professional development needs.
- Energy and flexibility. We are looking for candidates who show a passion for this work, and who thrive in fast-changing management and government environments.
- Strong relationship manager with experience in identifying and securing advocates across a number of African governments.
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple country offices and departments (remote workplace experience preferred).
- Willingness to travel internationally for 8 to 10 weeks a year.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Top-performing academic background.
- Humility. We are looking for professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Languages: English required; Swahili or French desirable.
- Out of the box thinking, flexibility and creativity
- Someone who can solve challenging problems in an impactful way that is measurable
- Ability to be self-motivated with a positive attitude and a solid work ethic
To apply, send your CV and cover letter only to firstname.lastname@example.org before close of business 27th February 2017.
Clearly indicate the position applied for and expected salary on the subject line.