Nova Pioneer is looking for a superstar Learning Designer.
As a Learning Design Associate, you will revolutionize the way 21st century skills and knowledge are developed in African schools. You will be a central member of the team that will develop the learning model that we will use in our schools in Kenya and South Africa.
This is an opportunity to be a part of an innovative network of schools that is developing generations of innovators and leaders who shape the African Century.
About Nova Pioneer: Imagine a world in which every young person across Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that cares about individual students and allows them to explore the world around them. A school that focuses more on developing skills than on memorizing content.
At Nova Pioneer, we have done more than just imagine this future, we are bringing it to life. Nova Pioneer is a pan-African, independent network of schools offering high quality, accessible education from pre-primary through secondary school.
Nova Pioneer uses a unique, inquiry-based learning approach that encourages students to ask “why” instead of telling them the “what”. It allows them to form their own thinking through exploration, investigation, and collaboration. Learn more about our learning approach here.
Nova Pioneer currently has 6 schools in South Africa and Kenya with a vision to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students across the African continent in the next decade. To learn more visit www.novapioneer.com.
About the Role
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Use themes, big ideas, Cambridge Curriculum, and Kenyan National Curriculum to create the day by day overview of lessons.
- Create year-long Scope & Sequences for your subject areas and grade levels
- Create detailed, inquiry-based lesson plans using Reggio Emilia approach, blended learning, and small-group instruction
- Create materials that go along with each lesson
- Create a full unit’s worth of material that culminates in Project Based Learning
- Work with the Team Lead and classroom teachers to revise lessons after they have been taught.
- Work with learning designers in Humanities and Math/Science to create integrated projects and investigations
- Create strong assessments/rubrics/continuums/checklists that allow each teacher to evaluate students
- Create assessments that infuse multiple assessment methods (Common Core, Creative Curriculum, Cambridge, etc.) into the questions (upper primary).
- Receive professional development on the Nova Model of Learning Design, integrated curriculum design, STEAM, Project-Based Learning
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by your manager
- Respond adequately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- You have 3-4 years of experience in a rigorous, high-expectations early primary setting
- You have a track record of developing creative and rigorous curriculum that has led to distinctive learning outcomes and can demonstrate this through example products and references
- You have a desire to further develop your curriculum development skills and apply them to transform the lives of African youth
- You have strong writing skills and are able to use those to create lessons that will help people learn it while being engaged and interested
- You are driven by data and can use data from student assessments to strengthen lessons and spiral in key skills
- You are excited about our organizational culture—and in particular, you are fired up to challenge yourself by embracing mutual vulnerability and a firehose of feedback.
How to Apply:
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you?
If so, then apply CLICK HERE to apply online. To apply, please complete the form on the right hand side of thepage. We cannot process applications that are emailed to us.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications for this role will close on 28th March 2018. All applications will be reviewed and applicants notified of next steps within a week after this closing date. There are a series of stages in the Nova Pioneer interview process and candidates will be moved forward in the process depending on their success in the previous stage.
The process is as follows:
- Phone interview: a short conversation to understand your skills and experience a little better.
- Practical demonstration of what you can do: you will complete a written task or a demonstration related to the role you are applying for. Teachers participate in a half-day selection day at one of our campuses as well as deliver a lesson to a class.
- In-person interviews: at this point you will visit one of our schools to meet the team and participate in a series of in-person interviews.
- Final interview: you’ll have a final conversation with the hiring manager before decisions are made.
Working at Nova Pioneer: Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary.
We offer consistent and ongoing personal development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life. We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!).
We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us! We work hard but we also have a lot of fun together. We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning. Read more about our culture principles here.