The National Police Service Commission (NPSC) is an Independent Commission established under Article 246 of the Constitution of Kenya.
The mandate of the Commission is to:
a) Recruit and appoint persons to hold or act in offices in the service, confirm appointments, and determine promotions and transfers within the National Police Service.
b) Observe due process, exercise disciplinary control over and remove persons holding or acting in offices within the service and
c) Perform any other function as prescribed by a national legislation.
The Commission seeks to recruit a qualified candidate to fill the following vacant position:
Manager, Communication and Outreach
Vacancy Number: V/No.6/2018
Directorate: Communication and Outreach
Reports to: Director, Communication and Outreach
Terms of Service: Pensionable
1. Oversee the implementation the institutions communications strategy to provide effective communication of relevant information to internal and external audiences;
2. Provide technical support to the Deputy Director, Communications in the preparation of the department’s operational strategy, policies, work plan and budgets to support the attainment of its mandate;
3. Drive the preparation of National Police Service Commission’s communications plan detailing the target audience and plans for
reaching them in line with approved strategy;
4. Provide technical support to the Deputy Director in the development of the Commission’s Cooperate Social Responsibility (CSR) plan that supports the growth of brand values within the Commission;
5. Develop and deliver a clear and effective system for internal communications including the dissemination of newsletters and other
documents and publications for internal stakeholders including being able to scale up the delivery of robust communications material;
6. Support program leadership and other program staff in their work, including development of a plan for achieving their priority advocacy
objectives in both an emergency and development context.
7. Drive the implementation of National Police Commission’s communication strategy and plan under the direction of the Deputy
8. Review articles and write-ups for internal and external publication as well as targeted presentations and speeches as required;
9. Provide input and review key messages for target audiences internally and externally in line with National Police Commission’s
communication and public relations strategy;
10. Provide professional and technical input into the development of content and the continuous update of the office website , and social
11. Maintain and moderate the Commission’s information and user engagement channels including the intranet for staff as well as the
website and other social media platforms for all users;
12. Verify all internal and external publications and written communications to determine their effectiveness and impact on target
13. Facilitate the preparation of communication tools including brochures, banners and branded novelties for public functions and publicity events;
14. Research, write and distribute press releases to targeted media, and manage office publications, as well as periodic newsletters in line with strategy;
15. Oversee effective media monitoring using available systems and tools and oversee the update and maintenance of National Police Commission media resource centre and
16. Support the Deputy Director in continually evaluating external communications needs and make recommendations on the most
appropriate interventions in liaison with all relevant stakeholders.
Qualifications Knowledge and Skills:
1. Master Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Advertising or any related field from a recognized institution;
2. Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations Advertising or any related field from a recognized institution;
3. Attended a senior management Course lasting not less than four weeks from a recognized institution;
4. Computer Literacy;
5. Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya;
6. Ten (10) years of service, of which three (3) should be in a senior comparable position from a reputable organization.
Additional Criteria for Selection
If you believe your qualifications and career objectives match these exciting roles, please submit your application letter and detailed curriculum vitae stating your current position, current remuneration level, email and telephone contacts quoting reference number of the position applied for.
The NPSC will be seeking evidence of a candidate’s suitability to serve in the positions advertised.
1. Applicants should attach a copy of National Identity Card or Passport, testimonials, or any other evidence of proven relevant expertise herein being sought;
2. In addition to the qualifications set out in the Constitution and the Enabling Statutes, applications must further furnish clearance certificates from:-
a) Director, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC);
b) Commissioner General, Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
c) Chief Executive Officer, Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
d) Professional bodies (where applicable) to which the applicant belongs such as LSK, ICPS(K), ICPAK, AAK, IEK, etc.;
e) Certificate of Good Conduct from DCI
NB: These criteria are applicable only to the Senior Positions of Deputy Directors, Managers and Head of Investigations.
Women, minorities, marginalized and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.
No person shall be qualified for appointment in any of the above posts if the person:
a) Has previously been convicted of any criminal offence;
b) Has violated the Constitution;
c) Is an undischarged bankrupt;
d) Has been adversely mentioned in any report by a Commission of Inquiry or any Parliamentary Committee;
e) Canvasses directly, indirectly, by proxy, by emissary, by ethnic or clan whipping, by pressure groups, by other associations or in any other way;
f) Knowingly, willingly and blatantly lies, misrepresents, cheats and fails to disclose material facts.
In addition, the National Intelligence Service (NIS) may be requested by the Commission to provide a report on all shortlisted applicants.
a) Applications and Certified Copies of the supporting documentation should be delivered to the National Police Service Commission, SkyPark Plaza (Near Jacaranda Hotel) 5th Floor Westlands, Nairobi,
or Posted to:
The Commission Secretary/ Chief Executive Officer
National Police Service Commission
SkyPark Plaza 5th Floor
P.O. Box 47363-00100
Applications should be received at the Commission on or before 19th March, 2018.
NB. National Police Service Commission is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality.
Persons with disabilities and from disadvantaged groups are encouraged to apply.
Only qualified candidates shall be contacted.
Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification