We are hiring a Finance Manager!
About Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust: Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust (RWMT) is a charitable organization that works to empower communities to create positive change in a rural area of Siaya County in Western Kenya.
Nearly 60% of the population in this area live below the poverty line and only 18% of the population have finished high school. RWMT lies in the center of Rarieda sub-County and serves over 30,000 people.
We dream of people believing in themselves and working together to build a vibrant and progressive community. To achieve this, we run community programs under RWMT and offer vocational trainings at Rarieda Training & Resource Centre (RTRC).
Our team of 55 currently engages nearly 3,000 orphans and vulnerable children and their families with impressive outcomes across health, education, economic empowerment and human right advocacy. Currently, 200 students are being equipped with vocational and life skills, which otherwise would not be accessible to them.
To grow our reach and impact, we are now working with Community Based Organisations (CBOs) across Siaya county, driving up revenues through our various income-generating activities, streamlining our operations and programs, and aim to enrol up to 300 youth annually for vocational training.
About the Role: Reporting to the Finance & Operations Manager and serving as a member of the Management Team, the Finance Manager will manage the finance team of 6 to provide efficient, timely and accurate financial management information and expertise to enable timely donor reporting, organizational management, decision-making and safeguard the organization’s assets from loss arising from fraud or error.
Under your lead, RWMT will become an even stronger role model in terms of effective financial management in Kenya and beyond.
Your responsibilities will include:
Financial Strategy and Management – Lead the finance team and department
- Participate in financial modelling and scenario planning to improve RWMT’s financial planning and management, including its reserves and liquidity.
- Assist Business Development Manager in managing and maintaining financials for business unit cost centres.
- Manage financial records including updating QuickBooks and Sage e.g. bank and petty cash books, ledgers and journals. Ensure that staff submit and maintain appropriate supporting documentation.
- Manage preparation, co-ordination and control of multi-tier budget including budget forecasts, and budget tracking.
- Prepare regular cash flow projections and actual cash analysis
- Manage all accounts payables and receivables.
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliation of all bank accounts.
- Manage monthly reporting, ensuring trial balances and final accounts are correctly done i.e. income and expenditure & balance sheet.
- Ensure monthly financial reports are compiled and submitted according to donor specifications and timelines. Review and send accurate and timely financial reports to donors and trustees.
- Payroll management, ensuring appropriate statutory deductions and remittances.
- Oversee office petty cash management.
- Ensure completion of consolidated annual accounts, and timely preparation for External Audits and effective implementation of audit recommendations.
Risk Management – Safeguard assets from loss arising from fraud or error
- Ensure that RWMT does not suffer any financial or material loss through fraud and error by ensuring that cash and all assets are safeguarded by closely monitoring and maintaining an adequate system of internal control.
- Ensure adequate insurance throughout the year.
- Ensure that RWMT complies with all the legal, regulatory and audit requirements.
- Periodically review tax laws to ensure effective management of income through RWMT/RTRC.
- Create and maintain a Risk Register, along with a Risk Management Policy.
Program Support – Ensure the Finance Department effectively serves and supports our impact mission
- Liaise closely with the Programs Manager to ensure all teams are financially prepared for programmatic activities.
- Participate in budget development for all grant applications and proposals.
- Provide monthly budget vs actual reports and guidance for all grants and business units.
- Ensure quarterly procurement schedule is aligned to quarterly budgets.
- Teach and guide beneficiaries and staff in financial literacy/management
Inventory Management – Ensure accurate inventory tracking and reporting
- Manage and improve the end-to-end inventory process.
- Oversee the implementation of inventory checks and stock movement procedures, including periodic inventory counts and timely reporting of any loss, damage or theft.
Ensuring our Financial Procedures are compliant and best practice
- Drive improvement, streamlining and adherence of all Financial Management processes and procedures.
- Ensure and document KRA compliance.
- Understand all donor procedural requirements and drive their implementation organization-wide.
Who we are looking for:
- You know how effective organizations run and you are excited about bringing this mind-set to the development sector.
- Strong financial management skill in complex environments: You have handled multiple parallel grants, or multiple cost centres or businesses within a group.
- You have at least seven years of progressive experience in finance, with an excellent track record and skills in budgeting, accounting, payroll, tax filing and leading the department in preparation for the external audit.
- You have at least three years of experience supervising a team, and know how to train your team members in their roles.
- Very good level of understanding of internal controls and fraud prevention.
- Ability to work under pressure, with multiple stakeholders and competing deadlines. You pride yourself in being organized, detail-oriented efficient and fiscally responsible.
- You enjoy working with and know how to navigate a diverse and multi-cultural team facing challenges of a rural work environment.
- You anticipate issues and have a proven track record of being resourceful in resource-constrained environments.
- Ideally you have engaged with grassroots organizations or non-profits before and you understand the different working culture in this space.
- You are open to change and adapt quickly to new structures and needs towards your role and the department
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance or related field is required, as is a relevant professional qualification, such as CPA-K, ACCA, CFA or CA.
You have the right fit with our culture if:
- You are compassionate and deeply care about children, youth and rural development.
- You value transparency and encourage accountability in all aspects of your life.
- You pride yourself on being flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances.
- You are humble and comfortable in varying social and professional settings, alternating between interacting with rural community members, and high-level stakeholder meetings with institutional representatives.
- You value being part of a team that aims to set new industry standards.
Why work with us?
While our work with communities is very challenging, it is also very rewarding – you see lives changing before your eyes!
You will be part of growing our impact with some exciting networks and partnerships that we have built over the past 15 years.
We are on the journey to becoming a role model development organization and will in the process support many other CBOs and NGOs.
We are a committed team and we care about each other.
You will be living and working in a beautiful, calm and clean environment, with fresh air and close to Lake Victoria.
The role is based in our main office in a rural village in Rarieda, Siaya County. We are about20 km from the nearest town (Bondo) where some of our team members live.
Due to the nature of work additional hours may be required. At times, program activities extend into the weekend and may require your participation.
We are looking for candidates who are excited about living and working in a rural setup for a minimum of 3-5 years. There is a six month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
Want to apply?
First, please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
Fill out the application form under http://bit.ly/JoinRafikiFinance
You will be asked to upload your CV at the end of the application form. Please ensure it is in PDF format, tailored to this role and no more than 3 pages.
Recruitment process in collaboration with edge recruitment