The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-informed policy research.
Our researchers are contributing to the body of evidence about the critical barriers preventing optimal population health and wellbeing among the most vulnerable of Africa’s urban poor: the six in ten people who live in the informal settlements, or slums, that crowd the continent’s urban centers.
As part of our strategy to improve the Center’s ability to engage in global and continental discussions about solutions to the challenges impeding Africa’s development, we are recruiting a Communications Assistant with a particular focus on design and creative work.
The right candidate is a nimble multitasker with a background that includes exposure to web, print and multimedia design, able to calmly handle a complex workload, is responsive as well as proactive, pays close attention to detail, and is comfortable working closely with an array of creative professionals while shepherding products to completion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the development of a variety of products including print, graphic and multimedia collateral for research units
- Oversee production of those products in coordination with the procurement team, ensuring that contracting, payment and other procedures are followed
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Design or a related field
- At least two years of post-qualification work experience in content creation, preferably at an international organization
- Visual media skills including use of still and video camera; ability to contribute to the development of video storyboards and basic editing to a professional standard
- Some knowledge of graphic design and desktop publishing, including Microsoft Publisher, and Adobe or Corel suites
- Strong professional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience in using social media channels and extending their reach
- Experience of supporting the creation of digital media and publishing across a variety of platforms including but not limited to Storify, Prezi, Slideshare and YouTube
- Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team
- Networking, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills coupled with resourcefulness, initiative and maturity of judgment
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal http://hrs.aphrc.org and should include: Portfolio of work (no more than 5 samples, 3 of which must be published versions) to also include one piece of designed collateral; Cover letter must include at least two paragraphs emphasizing experience working in production of creative content.
Please include one reference of someone who can speak directly to your ability to manage a complex and varied workload. Applications will be considered up to March 20, 2018.
Cover letters should be addressed to: –
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center
P.O. Box 10787 – 00100 GPO Nairobi
For more information about APHRC visit www.aphrc.org
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children