Job Title: Consultant Trainer in Agriculture Institute
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Introduction: We are Africa’s leading capacity building and research consultancy firm offering technical consultancy and training services designed for individual and organizations in the agriculture, climate change and environment; disaster management; education; food and nutrition; health; humanitarian relief; logistics and telecommunication; recovery and reconstruction; safety and security; water and sanitation sectors.
We are looking for a trainer cum consultant to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of our Agriculture Development, Food Security and Livelihoods institute.
Key Responsibilities in training
- Design and develop training programs (outsourced or in-house)
- Creation or modification of required training modules
- Choose appropriate training methods per case (simulations, mentoring, on the job training, professional development classes etc.)
- Use accepted education principles and track new training methods and techniques
- Design and prepare educational aids and materials
- Determine additional training strategies based on data or observation
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Key responsibilities in consultancy work
- To provide scientific support in implementing various research projects
- Implementing field surveys, collecting and processing secondary data, developing research reports, policy briefs, communication materials, and presentations on research
- Implement farm household, market and consumer surveys, and collect and manage secondary data
- Facilitate focus group discussions and key informant interviews in selected areas
- Data entry, cleaning and management of survey data
- Managing electronic surveys: programming of tablets (for example with CSPro, ODK), retrieving and assembling the data, cleaning and organizing
- Locate, assemble and analyze secondary data relevant for specific research
- Conduct statistical and econometric analysis of survey and other data using STATA, SPSS or other standard statistical software
- Conduct literature reviews and assist in preparing strategy documents, research reports and policy briefs to strengthen research and publication efforts
Minimum educational qualifications and professional experience
- Masters of Science degree in agricultural economics/Agribusiness management, Horticulture, Agronomy or related field, from a recognized university or any other relevant degree with bias in quantitative and qualitative analysis, from an accredited university;
- At least Three (3) years of progressive experience in Research and Capacity Building in a reputable organization.
- Good computer literacy and knowledge of multiple statistical and/or qualitative software packages such as SPSS, SAS, STATA, R Studio, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Word.
- Experience conducting field research
- Experience in conducting field surveys and analysis of farm household and market survey data
- Conversant with designing of questionnaires in CAPI using CSpro and/or ODK
- Good interpersonal skills, integrity, honesty and self-motivation
- Strong written, verbal, organizational and Interpersonal skills,
- Have at least one publication in a revered journal
Personal Attributes, Skills & Competencies
- Qualitative and Quantitative research skills.
- Ability to manage large and complex databases
- Ability to teach complex statistical concepts to non-statisticians
- Good communication, presentation and report writing skills
- Ability to keep up with new technology
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability
Mode of Engagement: Successful consultants will be contacted whenever training or consultancy comes up to offer services as an external consultant.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience, please apply. Interested applicants must send copies of their certificates and testimonials as well as current CVs, with telephone and e-mail contacts; addresses of three referees, and a cover letter to email@example.com by close of business 16th March, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Use the job title as the subject line in your application email.