Job Vacancy: Transport & Customs Manager
About Schneider – East Africa: Schneider Electric is a global specialist company in energy management and automation. At Schneider Electric we develop technologies and solutions to manage energy and process in ways that are safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable.
The Group invests in research and development in order to sustain innovation and differentiation, with a strong commitment to sustainable development. Schneider Electric employs 170,000 people worldwide.
We are strong players in various end markets including buildings, utilities & infrastructure, industry & machine manufacturers, data centres and networks.
Job Summary: Responsible for managing the transportation department or unit or a company. Hires, trains, trucks, air and supervise employees and manages scheduling of shipments. Including provide the assistance to shipping/forwarder agencies for our customs process and correct tariff codes identification.
And this will include process improvement for transportation and customs process to get more productivity and efficiency. Initiative ideas on cost saving/reduction.
Transportation & Process Improvement
- Oversee transportation department, including its assets and employees.
- Manages the operational aspects of ongoing projects and serves as liaison between project management and planning, project team, and line management.
- Ensure customer goods move from production through the supply chain, warehouse to the end user.
- Supervise air and ocean freight forwarding, global warehousing, transportation, reverse logistics, surface transportation and supply chain solutions.
- Establish quality transportation services.
- Develop partnerships with outside carriers in shipping.
- Plan and implement budgets.
- Utilize services of less-than-truckload carriers and air-forwarders to handle fulfillment shipments.
- Supervise scheduling of shipments.
- Review financial reports.
- Manage performance of branch employees with emphasis on productivity, efficiency, and service delivery.
- Lead all distribution and transportation planning and strategic activities.
- Recruit, interview, select, train, motivate, coach, and mentor shipping clerks and transport drivers [if any].
- Assist in the identification and implementation of continuous improvement opportunities and customer satisfaction opportunities.
Custom & Process Improvement
- Manage, direct, and monitor multiple customs brokerage teams on customs process and improvement.
- Plan, execute, direct, and complete tax projects in a wide variety of industries.
- Provide innovative tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise to our customs brokerage and manage to budget.
- Manage, develop, train, and mentor staff on tax projects and assess performance for engagement and year-end reviews.
- Maintain active communication with customs brokerage to manage expectations, ensure satisfaction, make sure deadlines are met, and lead change efforts effectively.
- To make sure laws are enforced at any port of entry (e.g., borders, airports) into the country.
- To make sure, for example, that items don’t make it into Thailand that aren’t allowed in. The customs in charge [his/her] has to know what products are allowed in and what products must be confiscated.
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- Graduated from Master Degree in any file [aboard is preferable]
- Excellent in communications both English & Kiswahili
- At least 7 years working experience in :-
o At least 4 years experience in transportation both local and cross-border
o At least 4 years for warehouse & operations background
o At least 2-3 years knowledge or experience on customs process/tariff
- Could be great to have a background on implementation and project management
- Have an experience on the SAP, Oracle, WMS, VMS, etc could be benefit
- Required to have a background on Operation Excellent [LEAN / Six Sigma / Kaizen], Process improvements
- Good to have background in both In-house and 3PL logistics/transport
- People management – used to have a minimum 2-3 direct reports
- Good attitude and willing to start with “zero” to build up teams to achieve company’s target
- Independent and confident
- Strong in Leadership & Supervisor & Presentation
- Team player
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online