Job Title: Head of Advocacy & Partnerships
Team: Senior Leadership Team
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Post holder reports to: Executive Director
Staff Reporting to this Position:
- Gender and Social Compliance Manager
- Fundraising Officer
- Communications Officers
- Programmes and Information Manager
Salary Range: Kshs 394, 535 to Kshs 618,260
Main Purpose of Job: To support and facilitate the fulfilment of FTA strategy implementation through the development and implementation of appropriate advocacy and partnership strategies and plans that enable the empowerment, participation and beneficiation of farmers and workers through trade.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead on the development of a continental advocacy and partnership strategy in a dynamic organisation;
- Develop strategies for advocacy and partnership initiatives for the organisation, its networks and programs.
- Be the lead advisor on global, regional and national policy and advocacy, monitoring and accountability initiatives for the implementation of the Fairtrade Standard and relevant SDGs.
- Develop and cultivate partnerships that are relevant to the achievement of FTA’s strategic objectives.
Key Performance Areas
Develop Strategies for advocacy initiatives
- Lead and manage processes for developing the FTA Advocacy strategy Support regional teams to develop Advocacy Action Plans based on clear context, and stakeholder analysis.
- Support regional teams in developing advocacy strategies for country and regional product networks.
- Participate in designing and inputting into global advocacy activities, and ensure all global advocacy and influencing initiatives are informed by local and regional needs
- Develop an annual FTA work plan in collaboration with HORs and regional advocacy focal points including the Gender and Social Compliance Manager.
- Take leadership in defining overarching advocacy activities that FTA prioritises i.e Climate Change, Gender, Living Income & Living Wage, Diversification, Value Addition and South to South markets.
- Participate in global advocacy initiatives that relate to the prioritised core products i.e Cocoa, Coffee, & Banana.
- Monitor and assess opportunities to influence international, regional, sub-regional, and national policy, using focused interventions and engaging key partners in support of strategic objectives.
- Support regions to manage and develop responses to immerging or existing issues that may negatively impact the benefits of Fairtrade to farmers and workers. [National Policies, Practices and or By Laws]
- Coordinating and communicating with the wider organisation and the Fairtrade System on strategy planning and implementation of emerging policy and advocacy initiatives.
Building Partnerships for social change
- Design and develop FTA partnership strategies
- Develop and maintain an FTA Partner Database, indicating partnerships by theme and by key products and by key technical skills and capabilities.
- Explore and research on Partnering needs of grass root/ community based organisations
- Develop and operationalise partner assessment tools and processes in collaboration with the HORs/MPMs/Project Mangers
- Ensure the operationalization of the FTA Partnership Guide
- Provide clear guidance on partnerships with Governments and Private sectors
- Conduct bi-annual partnership forums to review and reflect on partnership best practices, key learnings and key outcomes and impact.
- Coordinate with partners and networks to develop strategies for engaging and influencing targeted national, regional and global institutions
- Facilitate respectful reciprocal relationships between local communities and FTA
- Ensure that the FTA partnership approach is inclusive and includes interactions with key government department, funding organisations, media institutions, Research and knowledge institutions, community based organisations, regional and international organisations and private sector players. FT member organisations [NFOs and PNs] should also be included as in the partnership guide.
- Ensure a budget is allocated for enabling and strengthening partnerships
- All advocacy programs will be developed in consultation and participation of key FTA stakeholders – HORs, MPMs, managers and key support functions.
- All programs will be planned and delivered within the operational frameworks, policies and procedures of FTA.
- Ensure that programme activities are in compliance with the FT Theory of Change including global strategic priorities and all relevant FT Standards.
- Regular reports on advocacy and partnership activities will be generated as per the FTA reporting standards and requirements.
- Provide general guidance and oversight on all Fundraising initiatives relating to all funding gaps in FTA
- Support and facilitate the development of proposals for Advocacy initiatives and prioritised regional thematic and program areas.
- Oversee the fulfilment of donor-funded advocacy project
- Effectively manage the approved core budget for Advocacy and partnerships relating to the approved annual work
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supported by the Programmes Information Manager ensure a robust M&E framework for FTA’s Advocacy and Partnership work is in place and effectively implemented, enabling us to continuously learn from and improve the quality of our delivery and impact.
- Ensure regular M&E reports and incorporate findings in development and fine-tuning of programme and project activities
- Ensure data collected through M&E is utilised to further inform advocacy initiatives
- Develop clear systems for storage and retrieval of all data relating to Partnership and Advocacy work
- Ensure effective internal [FTA] coordination of planed initiatives under this portfolio including establishing clear lines of internal [FTA/FI] communication for sharing advocacy information and external influencing opportunities.
Gender and Social Compliance
- Oversee and support the development and implementation of the FTA Gender Policy
- Oversee and support the social compliance initiatives relating child protection and workers’ rights, and ensuring these are aligned to the FT
- Oversee and ensure the implementation of strategies and guidelines relating to gender and social compliance issues [ FT Gender Strategy, YICBMR]
- Oversee all research relating to gender and social compliance and ensure collection of data, take into consideration measures to protect vulnerable and marginalised groups social environment programme for roll out
- Participate in key events relating gender and social development.
- Support with overall communication of FTA Programs and activities
- Support all regions in the production of appropriate standard branding materials
- Supervise and monitor communication initiatives by the communication officer and support communication and messaging of FTA work by FT Members
- Plan and provide oversight of FTA key events
- Ensure quality and adherence to branding guidelines for all FTA communications.
Finance, Fundraising and Performance Management
- Supported by the Finance Manager, develop and manage advocacy budgets in line with FTA’s finance policies and procedures including quarterly reforecasting and ongoing monitoring of income versus expenditure.
- Ensure high quality narrative and financial reporting to SLT and to donors as required, clearly communicating any significant changes to delivery or spending.
- Supporting the Fundraising Manager
- Regular performance management of the Fundraising and Social Compliance Managers and communication officer, supporting their professional development and leading the recruitment and induction of any other new reportees.
Skills, Knowledge & other Job Requirements
Minimum Academic Requirement
- Degree in Political Sciences, International Development, Social Sciences, Law and or Anthropology.
- Master’s Degree in a social sciences or other related Masters programme.
Other Specialist Training or Certifications
- Diploma, certificate in Project Management
- Certificate in Advocacy and Policy Making
- Experience in planning, developing and managing projects or events.
- Experience in external representation with governments, civil society donors and producer groups, product networks.
- At least 5 years’ experience in social development in a similar environment
- At least 2 years’ in senior management
Knowledge of Systems and Procedures
- Knowledge and experience in relevant policy, advocacy and/or research work
- Knowledge of current development policy trends and frameworks, especially the Sustainable Development Goals and Fairtrade Global objectives and theory of change.
- Knowledge in government policy-making processes
- Understanding of Gender and Development
- Knowledge of social and economic rights
Communication Demands and Competencies
- Position demands high level presentation and proposal writing skills
- Good organisational skills
- Strong research skills
- Project management skills
- Ability to engage at all levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and fluent written and spoken English.
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website http://www.fairtradeafrica.net/about-us/jobs-and-volunteering/
If you have any queries, please e-mail email@example.com or call +254 202721930 and ask to speak to a member of the HR team.
Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as a pre-condition of employment.
Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name and the position (Head of Advocacy & Partnerships), and be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form.
Deadline: Sunday 8th April, 2018
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||