Centre for Victims of Torture (CVT)
Vacancy Announcement: Administrative / HR Officer
Organization & Program Overview: The Centre for Victims of Torture (CVT) is an international non-governmental organization based in Minneapolis, USA.
Founded in 1985, CVT was one of the first organizations in the US dedicated to providing care and rehabilitative services to survivors of politically motivated violence and torture, earning international recognition as a provider of psychosocial training and direct services.
Since then CVT has worked in Guinea, DRC, Sierra Leone and Jordan. The goal of CTV is to heal the wounds of persons affected by torture and to stop torture worldwide.
CVT Kenya has offices in Dadaab and Nairobi, to address the mental health needs of survivors of torture, violent conflict and SGBV.
General Position Summary: The Administrative & Human Resources Assistant will assist with the administration of the day-to-day operations of the administrative & human resources functions and duties.
The Admin/HR officer will carry out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: administrative tasks, meeting coordination and scheduling, travel arrangements, other support services as required, including Management of personnel according to CVT Policy and Kenya Labour Law, Management of the communication system of the Dadaab office, leave administration, orientation among other responsibilities.
This position reports to Hierarchically to Field Coordinator and works closely with the finance officer, logistic officer and other program staff, the Administrative & HR Assistant will be responsible for the following essential functions:
Essential functions include [but are not limited to]:
- Prepare procurement request for office supplies and submit to logistic officer.
- Prepare a peaceful working atmosphere. Manage housekeeping and space planning, attend to visitor and ensure the get proper accommodation, follow up on bills for meals taken during their stay.
- Prepare minutes of meetings convened or attended by project management.
- Provide administrative support to Program staff in creating correspondence, coordinate appointments and travel schedules.
- Assist the Nairobi HR/Admin Officer to make travel arrangements for staff and visitors on ECHO and UNHAS flights to and from Dadaab.
- Take lead in organizing official functions in identifying suitable venues and sampling appropriate services at competitive rates. Take lead in team building.
- Management of Communication system in the Dadaab project: Management and the distribution of communication to staff and other CVT locations as appropriate.
- Prepare and distribute any memo related to the Personnel.
- Handle petty cash.
- Supervise the, cleaner and cooks.
- Assist in reviewing, assessing of application and short listing of applicants where applicable.
- Arrange and conduct interviews to select candidates as per HR manual where applicable.
- Review recommendation on the selection of candidate.
- Obtain references and carry out required pre-employment checks to ensure that information given is verified.
- Facilitate induction orientation Programme and briefing for all new staff members.
- Introduce new employees to other staff and orient them to the CVT Kenya office layout.
- Ensure all staff documentations are kept in the personal file and maintained properly.
- Process for new staff and follow up on medical cards, contract and staff salaries through Nairobi office.
- Prepare Summary leave report for the Dadaab office.
- Respect the Kenya Labour Law and CVT Kenya staff policy when dealing with matters related to human resources.
- Prepare and update monthly staff contact Submit to Nairobi office as required.
- Prepare daily/weekly staff headcount report using information from staff movement, and staff headcounts and submit a report to FC on weekly basis.
- Follow up on timesheets and ensure they are sent to Nairobi office every end month.
- Make sure each staff member understands the CVT Kenya Policy Manual and is aware of his/her rights and obligations related to the contract. Conduct information sessions of the policy before staff members sign contracts.
- Protect the confidentiality of personnel and individual information.
- Play a key role in conflict prevention, resolution and management and Record proceedings during disciplinary hearings
- Assist the Nairobi HR/Admin Officer in making travel arrangements on (ECHO flights and UNHCR flights) to and from Dadaab
Management of Communication system in the Dadaab project
Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator, the Human Resources Officer will be accountable for:
- Management the distribution of office communication to staff and other CVT locations as appropriate
- Propose and implement efficient communication system among CVT staff in Dadaab and in other projects if necessary
- Keep an inventory of all incoming and outgoing communications
Any other duties as assigned by your supervisors.
Required Qualifications and Experience.
- Degree in Human Resource or Business management or equivalent.
- Diploma with extensive experience in Administration/HR.
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in Human resource and Administration preferably in an international organization.
- Extensive experience in working with online HR information system and any other IT platforms.
- highly level of confidentiality and integrity
- Sound knowledge of Kenya Labour/employment law.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups and establish and maintain collaborative relationships with project partners and staff. Must be highly organized
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Commitment to and understanding of CVT’s vision, mission and values.
- Good inter-personal skills; possess the ability to interact with all levels of staff as well as both internal and external clients.
- Proven ability to organize, prioritize and complete work under tight deadlines
- Must be a member of IHRM.
- Remote and generally very hot northern Eastern Kenya weather
- Refugee camp environment
- Non family posting
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to email@example.com.
The subject line of your application should be ‘ADMIN/HR OFFICER- DADAAB’
Closing Date: 3rd April 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||