The KEMRI / University of Washington Study
The KEMRI / UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary research aimed at improving the lives of women and children living in Kenya.
Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions.
We are looking for a motivated, committed, and honest staff member to join our team.
Job Title: Study Coordinator
Job Group MR/9
Job Description: The Study Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of a clinical trial titled “Antibiotics for Children with Severe Diarrhea (ABCD) Trial”.
She/he will work together with an Assistant Study Coordinator to manage the project on a day-to day basis from early stage initiation stage through study close-out.
She/he will work with Study Investigators to prepare and submit regulatory authority documents, design and edit appropriate logs to document study-related activities, conduct internal monitoring to ensure all protocols are being followed, conduct community outreach activities, and lead regular in-house trainings.
She/he will also manage staff members at five to six enrollment sites in western Kenya and ensure that all research processes strictly adhere to regulatory requirements.
She/he must communicate regularly on phone and email with Nairobi and Seattle based members of the study team and lead weekly study calls.
- Degree in Nursing or Public Health or Degree or Higher Diploma in Clinical Medicine Nursing or Public Health with at least 5 years of experience in infectious diseases related research activities
- At least 5 years experience coordinating research studies; clinical trial experience is preferred
- Experience in coordination of multiple sites and teams
- Experience in coordinating externally monitored studies
- Be able to design, amend and implement research protocols
- Ability to manage and supervise a large and diverse team of study personnel
- Ability to communicate effectively and frequently to domestic and international supervisors in person, over the phone, on Skype, and over email.
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to multi-task
- Be a team player
- Highly detail oriented
- Willing and ready to travel within country on a regular basis
- Must have Certificate of good conduct
- Must have KRA Certificate of Tax compliance
- Must have Clearance Certificate from HELB
- Must have credit reference Bureau Certificate
- The clinical study coordinator will act as the primary point person for the study and will oversee all study activities including but not limited to:
- Scheduling and managing all staff members at various study sites, training new staff members including giving briefings on all operational policies and procedures; ensuring each person understands his/her role and responsibilities
- Set up and manage enrollment sites at various health facilities in Homa Bay and Migori Counties
- Act as a liason between members of hospitals, Ministry of Health, and communities including conducting regular study sensitization sessions and discussion forums
- Maintain strong relationship with study clinical sites and community groups involved
- Review and provide input on standard operating procedures
- Ensure compliance to standard operating procedures and best practices for the study
- Develop and maintain quality control and assurance checks for study procedures and data
- Attend and organize training of study procedures
- Ensure all data and adverse event forms are filled out appropriately and in a timely fashion
- Observation of study procedures to ensure adherence to protocol
- Maintenance of Trial Master File and all quality control documentation
- Responsible for all ethical and pharmacy review board applications
- Coordinate staff evaluation procedures
- Make weekly reports on the administration of the study
- Fill-in for site staff members when necessary
- Act as a liaison between site staff members and Nairobi and Seattle based study leadership through regular communication with both site staff and study leadership
- Lead weekly study calls with the leadership team in Nairobi and Seattle
- Perform other duties that may be given by the Study Investigators
- Uphold the mission and vision of KEMRI/UW Organization
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: One year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months. The successful candidate shall be based in Nyanza.
REMUNERATION: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales. Health Insurance Cover is provided for the staff members only.
If you meet the above requirements, please CLICK HERE to complete our online application form and send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: email@example.com to reach us by 30th March, 2018 at 5.00 p.m.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY; PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER. IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.