Kenya Girl Guides Association (KGGA)
Volunteer Positions as Committee Members
The Kenya Girl Guides Association (KGGA) is a member organization of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS). KGGA is one of the largest youth Associations in Kenya.
KGGA operates through a value based program and has a national membership of girls and young women representing every race, ethnicity, culture, class and religion in Kenya.
We are looking to fill volunteer positions in various Committees to support the work of the Association.
Kenya Girl Guides Association is looking for individuals with relevant skills (given in the skills required section below) , and the time and commitment to serve as volunteers in various committees.
All work done is purely on volunteer basis.
No allowances or any form of payments are made.
Position Objectives: We strive to ensure that KGGA is a dynamic and agile Association committed to continuous learning and innovation.
We focus on strengthening the effectiveness of our governance and designing strategies that will better support girls and young women achieve their fullest potential.
- To ensure that KGGA complies with its Constitution and Bye-Laws and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that KGGA focuses on its Objects as defined in the Constitution and Bye-Laws, and to ensure it applies its resources exclusively in the support of the Objects.
- To contribute to the Committee’s role in giving strategic direction and setting policies
- To contribute towards defining goals and setting targets, then evaluating performance against the agreed targets.
- To consider the interests of the Girl Guide Movement as a whole and to vote in the interests of the Movement as a whole.
- To review the strategy on a regular basis, and to consider changes in the external environment which may affect the plan, and the ongoing need for changes which may need to be made to ensure it remains relevant.
- To undertake the functions and duties of the Committee as defined in the KGGA Constitution and Bye-Laws
- To attend the Annual General meeting and to effectively contribute to their business through effective and adequate preparation and full and informed participation.
- To participate in regular evaluation of the performance of the Committee.
- To establish and maintain the values of the Association and safeguard its good name.
- To ensure the efficient and effective administration of the Association.
- To ensure the financial stability of the Association, and to protect and manage the property of KGGA and to ensure the proper and appropriate investment of its funds.
- To set strategic and organisational risk appetite and policy, review the risk register and ensure mitigating actions are in place.
- To undertake assignments as required, involving travel.
- To represent the Association at external events.
- To use any specific skills, knowledge and experience to help the Executive Committee reach sound decisions – this will include the scrutiny of proposals, leading and initiating discussions, providing advice or guidance on new initiatives and utilising any specialist expertise and experience.
- To agree terms of reference for committees.
- To provide structures and effective stakeholder management as requested by partners and donors as appropriate.
- To be ready to serve:
– on a Committee
– as a Chair of a Committee
– as a member of a task group established to achieve a specific task during and in between Annual General meetings.
- A considerable amount of the work of the Committees is carried out by correspondence and email. Therefore all members are expected to:
a) Deal promptly with all correspondence
b) Keep the Secretariat informed of postal address, email and telephone numbers. This would include making arrangements for contact, if absent from the usual address for any length of time.
- To sign and adhere to a volunteer contract, including confidentiality agreement
- To maintain confidentiality of all Committee matters, until information has been officially released.
- To role model positive and effective volunteer behaviours at all times and to ensure that the values of KGGA are central to all decision making.
The ability to think strategically, with the capability to drive the association towards achievement of the KGGA vision
Experience in one or a combination of the following areas:
- Managing technology strategy and implementation at a senior organisational level
- Fund development
- High level influencing skills, advocacy skills and partnership development skills
- Experience of leading the Association’s projects or programmes of work (e.g. Guiding Programme, Health, Peace, Education,
- Environmental Programmes, change initiatives, development of new programmes or training materials etc.)
- Financial management
- International/external partnerships
- Legal expertise
- Marketing and brand promotion
- Strategic planning and Visioning
- Leadership development
- Non-formal education
- Working in partnership with volunteers and staff
- Human resource management
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to work in a team or independently
- Demonstration of creativity to achieve results using minimum resources
- Strong oral, written and comprehension skills
- Excellent software skills such as use of spreadsheets like excel, word, powerpoint, access.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Importance must be attached to projecting KGGA as a professional association of integrity, delivering quality services
- In the performance of this position it is essential that the Holder conducts himself/herself in a way that optimises the cooperation of all the Managers and staff of KGGA in the achievement of the Association’s Objectives
If you have the skills and experiences to help us achieve our vision and mission, and the passion and the personal time to commit to this, please apply to join the KGGA Committees and contribute to the journey of transforming KGGA.
Please submit a cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position together with a detailed CV to email@example.com by 19th March 2018. Indicate Volunteer in the Subject Line. Late applications or hard copies will not be considered.
At no point in the entire recruitment process shall the candidate have to pay any money as a condition of engagement.
Only shortlisted candidates will have their applications acknowledged.
KGGA is an “equal opportunity organization” that is committed to hiring highly qualified individuals regardless of gender, religion, race, creed or marital status.