Job Vacancy: Environmental Officer – Kitui
DAI, a global development consulting firm, seeks applications from qualified candidates for the Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (KIWASH) project.
The Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (KIWASH) Project is a five-year, USAID-funded project to improve lives and health through the development and management of sustainable water, sanitation, and hygiene services in Kenya.
Its purpose is to institutionalize catalytic models of sustainable service delivery for accelerated water and sanitation access in nine specific target counties and to improve complementary hygiene behaviors.
Summary of Primary Duties: The Environmental Officer will directly implement activities that incorporate environmental sustainability assurance and climate change adaptation planning into source water monitoring and quality protection.
He/she will promote innovative actions to improve sub-catchment conservation and water resource protection, and climate change adaptation, and promote real-time water source monitoring.
He/she will provide technical support to Water Resources Users Associations (WRUAs) to realize watershed management objectives and support the KIWASH
team, county governments and Water Service Providers (WSPs) to implement water safety and security plans and support integration of these plans into business strategies and broader land and watershed management plans.
- Directly implement and monitor prior designed and planned activities to expand source water quality protection in selected sub-catchments in the duty counties;
- Mobilize key stakeholders, including relevant county government departments, WSPs, Water Resources Authority, NEMA, WRUAs, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) in line with project activities at the counties;
- Provide training and mentoring to WRUAs to incorporate climate change data into planning and monitoring efforts;
- Assist with technical support in the development and implementation of county water security plans;
- Collect and collate environmental data, including resources mapping, on selected sub-catchments;
- Contribute to the KIWASH bi-weekly, quarterly, annual and final reports and annual work plans;
- Assist with providing input for KIWASH monitoring and evaluation, specifically for tasks related to environmental sustainability and climate change resilience;
- Assist with the development of the KIWASH Learning Platform as required;
- Carry out other tasks as required by KIWASH.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No supervisory responsibilities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study preferred, e.g. environmental science or natural resources management with a climate change component;
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in fields related to environmental sustainability and climate change mitigation;
- Experience and knowledge of the geography and environmental setting of counties in Eastern Kenya; with specific reference to water resources and climate change trends;
- Experience and knowledge of working with Kenyan WSPs, WRUAs, and County Governments, Water Boards, and NGO’s/ Associations;
- Knowledge of Kenyan water and environmental legislation and issues preferred;
- Familiarity with the WHO Water Safety Planning Methodology;
- Knowledge of GIS applications an added advantage;
- English language written and verbal fluency essential.
Base of Operations: Kitui County, with frequent travel to Makueni County.
Reporting: The Environmental Officer will report to the Environment and Climate Change Manager.
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply online by April 9, 2018.
Only candidates who send their information by applying through the link and by the deadline will be eligible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
DAI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics