Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Job Vacancy: ICLA Project Officer (Kenyan Nationals Only)
Location: Dadaab – Kenya
Ref. No: 3758506277
Number of positions: 2
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations. NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for Refugees, returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan.
NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution.
The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) Project Officer is responsible for supporting NRC’s ICLA work in Dadaab. The ICLA Officer is primarily responsible for supporting the implementation of information, counselling and legal assistance services in Dadaab camps and surrounding host communities and supporting programme development through assessments, stakeholder engagement and coordination.
This includes the development of information dissemination and outreach strategies to beneficiaries related to ICLA thematic areas of legal identity, housing, land and property rights and livelihoods and self-reliance opportunities.
The Project Officer is also responsible for supporting the provision of counselling and legal assistance in line with NRC procedures that ensure quality delivery of programmes.
The Project Officer with support from the ICLA Project Coordinator will identify and carry out relevant capacity building and training opportunities. The Project Officer will also support research and assessments for programme development of ICLA’s programme in Dadaab.
The ICLA Project Officers report to ICLA Project Coordinator.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with ICLA CC strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Responsible for implementation of relevant technical activities in the ICLA project in Dadaab
- Responsible for tracking of financial expenditures of the project
- Provide technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Ensure relevant data collection and produce reports and analysis as required
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Represent NRC in relevant coordination forums and build relationships with key stakeholders
- Management and oversight of ICLA information, counselling and legal assistance services for beneficiaries.
- Ensure proper budget monitoring and efficient utilisation of funds.
- Regular review and development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), relevant guidelines, client intake and management tools in line with NRC standards for all services provided.
- Implement and develop M&E activities and ensure timely reporting of relevant activities in line with NRC guidelines.
- Support coordination with all relevant stakeholders in Dadaab and partner orgainsations through developing working relationships and attending coordination opportunities.
- Support ICLA staff to carry out regular outreach including, where appropriate, home visits to particularly vulnerable clients that would be otherwise unable to access the office or legal centres.
- Ensure that appropriate internal and external referral pathways have been established.
- Conduct awareness raising, capacity building and training activities for communities, government officials and NGOs on ICLA thematic areas.
- Supervise, evaluate and appraise the Project Assistant(s), providing technical guidance when needed.
- Conduct regular analysis of the situation of refugees located in the Dadaab camp complex and support relevant research to develop ICLA’s programme in Dadaab.
- Assist in strategic review and identification of other relevant ICLA activities.
- Contribute to the development of NRC’s Country strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities in the ICLA sector.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline. Diploma with experience will be considered.
- Minimum 5 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Knowledge in the field of international humanitarian or refugee law OR relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience
- Knowledge of international refugee law and national law applicable to refugees
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and durable solutions
- Social science
- Political science
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English. Knowledge of Somali an asset
- Experience working with refugees
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts
- Strong understanding of protection principles
Duty station: Dadaab
Contract period is up to December 2018 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Information, Counselling & Legal Assistance
- Role: Middle / line manager
Deadline for application: 06/04/2018