PowerGen Renewable Energy
Job Vacancy: Recruitment Associate
About PowerGen: PowerGen Renewable Energy is a fast-growing renewable energy company based in Nairobi. Founded in 2011, the company has installed 150+ renewable energy systems, including more than 45 micro-grids and connected 5,000+ homes and businesses in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Somalia, and South Sudan to clean and reliable electricity.
We uniquely combine our mission – to provide access to energy across all of Africa – with technical, on-the-ground expertise and an innovative business model. We build, own and operate AC micro-grids to bring power to residential and commercial customers in a for-profit manner.
With over 100 employees, an 11,000 sq. ft. workshop and headquarters in Nairobi and a Tanzanian office in Arusha, PowerGen is building a local company that is set to have an impact on the energy sector in Africa for years to come.
In 2018 PowerGen is focused on expanding on our successes in building and operating micro-grid energy utilities in the region and keeping the model on the path towards commercial viability and scale. We are building a team that is equipped to pursue this vision and could use your help to build it.
What you’ll make happen
We are looking for a creative do-er to join our People Operations team. Someone who enjoys the challenges of a young and growing company and can stand their ground. Someone who enjoys talking to our engineers in the field and can relate to to our business development team in the office. Someone who is there to support both our candidates and hiring managers.
- Select people. Most candidates find us through our job postings. Roles in finance or installation get a lot of responses via our website. You will help us review the responses and make the first selection of the candidates.
- Find people. When it comes to specific roles such as Sr. Engineers or experienced Project Managers, we often find them through our own network or carefully reaching out ourselves. You will offer creative solutions in finding people through your own network, through LinkedIn or through new avenues for our pipeline.
- Influence people. Candidates and colleagues often have questions. You will act as an advocate for both sides. You will play a role in ensuring hiring managers understand the candidates’ capabilities. You will also act as an advocate for PowerGen to help candidates learn what makes PowerGen a great place to work!
- Interview people. One candidate could be at their best in one organization and find it difficult to perform in the same role at a different organization. You will need to ask the right questions to learn what motivates our candidates and how they will fit into our culture.
- Advise people. Our recruitment process is far from perfect. You will use your experience and creativity to advise the team on improvements and encourage the use of new tools to boost efficiency and effectiveness. You are an advisor to the hiring manager; you challenge them on their requirements and suggest alternative possibilities.
- Coach people. The interview process can seem long and include waiting time. Hiring managers want their opening filled today. Candidates are eager to hear how they have done. You will coach them both through the process. You will communicate to candidates and hiring managers every step of the way: after an assignment, a personal interview, whether the outcome was positive, negative or needs some more time.
- Believe in yourself. PowerGen is the leading microgrid developer in Africa, and our projects and teams move quickly. You will start as a recruiter for several roles but you should see yourself shaping the recruitment strategy of a multinational company. All of our openings are currently in Tanzania and Kenya, but expect to be involved in finding people across the continent.
Skills and qualifications
- 3+ years of experience in finding and hiring people, preferably in an engineering and international environment
- Results-focused. You are able to get out a JD in time, focus efforts on the goals and follow up with hiring managers and candidates as promised.
- Listening. You work well with all layers of an organization. You hear and interpret messages from candidates and hiring managers alike and ask additional questions when clarification is needed.
- Quality focus. Just getting the job done is not enough for you. You set high standards for yourself, and share them with the team. If priorities change, you communicate them with the team in a timely manner.
- Teamwork. You connect easily with the team and gain their trust and respect. You help others who could use your support and communicate early and thoughtfully when you do.
- Planning and organizing. You lead searches through planned steps and commit to agreed timelines. You can combine several searches in various stages at the same time.
- Adaptability. Some openings have been open with us for a while and some openings need someone starting immediately. You can combine these priorities with ease.
- Problem solving. You identify and analyze problems that cross your path. You are able to offer solutions or share the steps you have taken to solve the problem.
- Support and live our Values: Integrity, Ingenuity, Passion, Team, Humility and Positivity
Benefits and Compensation
- Competitive annual compensation
- Annual holiday bonus
- Medical insurance
- Individualized career development
- Performance feedback and open-door company culture
- Team building and company-wide events
- Opportunity to work with a dynamic team of brilliant people passionate about electrifying East Africa!
How to Apply
Interested candidates are kindly asked to CLICK HERE to send a resume/CV and a brief description of why they are interested in the position. PowerGen will be accepting applications until 13 April 2018. You can expect to receive a response within two weeks after this date.
PowerGen Renewable Energy does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process, and does not act through recruitment agents.