Job Advertisement: Project Accountant
Job Purpose: This position is fully responsible for real-time accounting for all costs of operations, directly related to projects, leases and services
Job Description & Key Performance Indicators
- Responsible for all postings to Cost of Sales Accounts on Hansa, which are all tied to Projects
- Responsible for maintaining projects within Hansa from start to completion
- Ensure time allocation of all technical staff can be tied to projects and posted as a project cost in Hansa
- Ensure project are within budgets and review all future requirements of each project before allocating recourses/finances
- Handle project and office petty cash
- Specify one or two hours of each day during which cash will be released and ensure all staff adhere to those hours when seeking cash.
- Raise invoices for project billable
- Review and report on project profit/loss position based on actual and projected status. Evaluate differences between actual and estimated and whether or not additional invoices need to be raised
- Send project profit & loss accounts to FC, Ops Manager & Directors for review.
- Project labor & Material requirements and flag any excessive usage of either.
- In conjunction with the PLs, develop the project budget and thereafter monitor and flag any discrepancies
- Maintain a “near real-time” (max daily) worksheet showing the budgeted costs vs the actual costs (project P&L)
- Ensure project budgets and plans are kept up to date to reflect progress and changes to assumptions, including any reforecast as required
- Conduct project budget variance and KPI analysis and keep a real time record for management
- Maintain accurate project documentation and complete project files with regards to manpower and materials costing
- Identify areas of potential project gross margin improvement and ensure accurate recovery of all costs as defined in the contract
- Maintaining accounting procedures to deliver the integrity of costs, forecasts and budgets.
- Preparing project closing documents related to P&L
- Support in the preparation of financial reports e.g. P/L and Maintenance budget to the management
- Cash handling and accounting for the maintenance team
- Process claims for reimbursement of petty cash and arrange for petty cash disbursement
- Ensure bank runs are conducted the by relevant parties to ensure steady flow of petty cash
- Meet with the Project and Service teams to review P&L on all projects and services
- Attend Project Kick-off meetings to receive and review project budgets and understand project requirements
- Understand all factors that affect input costs. Determine all input costs (imported & local materials, manpower, services etc).
- Approve/Deny requisitions for manpower and materials etc for all technical operations
- Audit on-site manpower and materials utilization to ensure proper estimation and budgeting is being carried out.
- Periodically audit costs to ensure that the company is getting the best value for money on all materials and services.
- Support project teams in the effective management of their budgets.
- Assist in establishing baseline costs for various operational tasks so that better estimates/quotes can be provided in the future
- Liaise with the Sales team as they prepare their quotations to start tracking costs from the very beginning
- Work with sales team to ensure all project costs are captured in the tendering process
- Work with operations team in monitoring their budgets and immediately flag any discrepancies
- Supervise stores officer and procurement officer
- Sub- contractors
- Maintain near real time P/L spreadsheets for all projects
- Maintain a current P/L spreadsheets and give weekly reports to Finance Director
- Give reports to the GM Operations and Finance Director after weekly meetings with Project and Maintenance teams on budget utilization
- Review stock take report and discuss with Finance Manager
Analyze cost variance on projects and service teams on a monthly basis, summarizing detail, and providing narrative of monthly activity to senior management and Directors
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting
- Member of a professional accounting body such as CPA-K or ACCA is an added advantage
- At least 5 years of working experience
- Deep knowledge of cost accounting, reporting and variance analysis
- Experience with an ERP accounting software. Knowledge of Hansa would be an added bonus
- Proficient in Microsoft office, specifically Excel
- Experience in budget creation, forecasting, analysis and monitoring
- Commercially astute, insightful and able to operate at an operational level.
- Fearless, Inquisitive, determined and diplomatic
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance
- Highly motivated with passion for excellence
- Able to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision making
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English and Kiswahili
- Must have good time management skills – Proactively schedule to-do’s and maintain zero-inbox philosophy
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to strictly email their cover letter and CV, to email@example.com by 12th March 2018.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted