Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is an international NGO focused on child rights.
To support in the development of its child protection programme in Garissa County, Tdh is encouraging applications from Kenyan nationals for the role of:
Child Protection Psychosocial Counselor – Hagadera Refugee Camp, Dadaab
Reporting to: Child Protection Technical Coordinator
Duty Station: Dadaab, Garissa County
Contract Duration: 3 months with possibility of extension based on funding & Performance
- To provide psychosocial support to selected cases of high risk cases or cases in need of specialized psychosocial support or mental health interventions
- Participate in need assessments and project evaluations aiming at contributing to the development of the child protection programme strategy for the refugee community project in Dadaab refugee complex
- To support in the development of intervention criteria for the psychosocial cases and design appropriate technical responses to psychosocial and mental health cases
- Provide training and supervising the CP team and community based structures on the management of children and families with basic psychosocial and mental concerns
- Train CP team members on the child friendly interviews techniques and implementation of psychosocial assessment
- Under the supervision of the Child Protection Technical coordinator, coordinate with the Child Protection Senior officer on assistance response to cases of children in need of psychosocial interventions
- Establish and monitor psychosocial and resilience building activities for all children at existing Tdh facilities or in the community
- Develop networks for referral of high risk cases and ensure regular follow ups of cases in need of additional and mental health need
- Participate and represent Tdh in relevant working group meetings/Forums at camp and Dadaab level to enhance coordination and foster good working relationship with partners
- Develop unit reports as required
- He/she will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Protection Safeguarding Policy.
- Terre des hommes expects that its staff professional conduct reflects proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and traditions. He/she assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
- Tdh intervenes without any affiliation for politics, religion or financial profit. He will direct his or her activities and engagements without preoccupation of political, racial or religious affiliation.
- He/she commits to observe discretion on any information related to the organisation functioning and beneficiary related issues
- Minimum bachelor degree in Counselling / Counselling Psychology / Psychological Counselling from a recognized university. Clinical experience is a plus
- Experience in use of community based approaches for the management of psychosocial and mental health issues
- Experience in application of innovative / creative and evidence based psychosocial and mental health issues
- Minimum of three years’ experience with prominence in psychosocial and mental health assignments
- Experience in case management including management of case conferences
- Project reporting and evaluation experience
- Staff supervision experience
- Fluency in English, Kiswahili and Somali Language, and knowledge of Somali culture and traditions is a plus
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV,
References and copies of academic and professional certificates (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
The Application can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Closing date for these positions is 15th March 2018. Those who had previously applied need not to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and interview
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.