Job Vacancy: Field Manager
Job Ref: RSS/03/18/KENYA/CFC/002
Research Support Services Ltd. (RSS Group) is an independent employee-owned research consulting and institutional strengthening firm established to conduct health, policy, social, agricultural, environmental and development research through innovation, partnership and capacity building, with the aim of promoting evidence based decision making processes.
RSS is currently looking for a short term field manager to assist in planning and managing data collection activities and logistics for one of its potential agricultural survey projects in Kenya.
We are seeking qualified and self motivated individuals with the following key qualifications;
- Advanced Degree in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management, Development Studies, Social Sciences or Statistics; with consulting experience in agribusiness development, impact evaluations, microeconomics and econometrics;
- Past experience in developing, conducting and managing data collections for agribusiness studies and household surveys within poor and rural communities; MAINLY agribusiness project evaluations and agribusiness value chains; and among youth and women;
- Good knowledge of the Agribusiness sub- sector in Kenya;
- Experience in farm household income estimation and assessing working and living conditions in rural areas; Excellent skills in microeconomics, agribusiness development models, econometrics and impact evaluations;
- Solid knowledge of rapid appraisal techniques and methods; more so in rural Kenya;
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English a MUST; as well as a respective local language; Good interpersonal, translation and negotiating skills;
- Extensive experience in qualitative data recording and a demonstration of skilled interviewing, expert note-taking, high quality transcription and translation; especially from a Local Language to English;
- Experience in coordinating research and managing field teams with strong supervision and organizational skills;
- In-depth understanding of Kenya socio-cultural context, rural and poor communities, ability to access remote and volatile regions; Strong demonstration of links and understanding of the Government and the local administration and ability to obtain necessary permits and clearances from National Government and relevant local authorities;
- Proven record of ethical conduct, knowledge of local formalities, team player and attention to detail;
- Good working knowledge of office computer applications; Familiarity with the use of PDAs/Android Tablets for data collection, photography, recording and digital voice recording (electronic data collection);
- Experience in analyzing quantitative and qualitative datasets; ability to write high quality, clear and concise reports; excellent presentation skills and track-record for delivering highly successful project results;
The data collection work shall be conducted within the Republic of Kenya and is expected to be around May/June 2018.
We shall select researchers who emanate from and have knowledge of the local communities in Kenya.
If you feel you are the right person we are looking for, send a cover letter, CV and copies of academic certificates/transcripts to;
Ensure you state the vacancy reference in the subject line.
Applications MUST be received on or before 30th March 2018.