Job Vacancy: Supply Chain Buyer
Reports to: Supply Chain Manager
Work station: Nairobi
Job Purpose: This position is responsible oversee purchases and developing new contracts. The Supply Chain buyer plays a key role in procuring high-quality and cost-efficient supplies for the company.
The Buyer follows procurement procedures, maintains an updated list of inventory and incoming purchases and supplies, and is responsible for recommending purchases for approval.
- Ensure that all purchase orders are clearly defined, entered and updated, in an accurate and timely manner.
- Making professional decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Create and maintain requisitions, purchase orders, acknowledgements and resolve invoice issues.
- Review and analyze all vendors/suppliers, supply, and price options.
- Review open requirements and vendor performance, expediting materials where necessary.
- Utilize Materials Requirements Planning System and other planning tools or develop tools as required.
- Ensure that problems relating to delivery, quality, service or pricing are promptly conveyed to the vendor and resolved in a timely manner.
- Interface with vendors with respect to price negotiation, availability of materials, delivery time and supplier visits.
- Coordinate and lead supplier visits to continuously improve pricing and/or delivery, quality issues and any other pertinent topics.
- Prepare metrics reports, with a focused effort on continuous improvement.
- Pursue inventory and cost reduction initiatives, such as scrap reduction and slow moving inventory consumption.
- Update cost saving reports monthly or as required to support Business objectives.
- Develop and implement processes to minimize excess and obsolete inventory.
- Research and establish contacts with potential new vendors to develop additional or new sources for raw materials.
- Research and track market trends related to assigned commodities to predict cost changes.
- Maintain and update list of suppliers and their qualifications, delivery times, and potential future development
- Working with team members and Supply Chain Manager to complete other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum level of academic and professional qualification required to perform effectively in the role
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Procurement, Supply Chain Management or Business Management
- CPSP-K OR CIPS Diploma
- Minimum level of experience required to perform effectively in the role
- Two (2) years relevant experience in material planning, purchasing or supply chain
- All departments
- Relevant institutions
- Intermediate or higher user of MS Office
- Knowledge of SAP Business 1 would be added advantage.
- Report writing skills
- Presentation skills
- Communication skills
- Analytical Skills: Works with multiple vendors to determine the best deals for the company, and will have to evaluate the many pros and cons of each, based on price, quality, speed of delivery and other factors.
- Decision-Making Skills: Uses the gathered information to make decisions on behalf of the company.
- Math Skills: Basic math skills will be needed to analyze prices and get the best deals possible.
- Negotiating Skills: Works with suppliers to create the best deals. Negotiating skills will help create those deals.
- Integrity and trust – Trusted individuals who can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidence, admits mistakes, and does not misrepresent themselves for personal gain.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR + JOB REF).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews