Job Title: Technical Assistant
Reports To: Agronomist
Overall Responsibility: Reporting to the Agronomist the position will be responsible for ensuring availability of safe, high quality raw materials from company owned, leased or contracted farms/ out growers in support of factory operations in order to ensure achievement of company business objectives.
This includes assisting farm operations and the implementation of the seeding, planting, weeding, spraying and harvest plans for contracted farmers.
Key Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
Implementing the Agronomy supplies plan and recruitment of farmers
- Lead in development of field extension/advisory services with special attention to increase in production
- In liaison with the Area Manager extension of research and development and promoting best practice
- Provide technical advice on design elements to strengthen
- Ensure and maintain good relations between farmers and Vert.
- Communication with farmers
- Organize meetings with farmers
Monitoring , supporting and advising farmers
- Identify the farmers training needs
- Organize, and conduct technical meetings and training activities
- Delivery of technical workshops, consultations, seminars and training sessions for farmers
- Support the strengthening relationship between Vert Limited and the farmers
- Train the out growers on ICPM and other areas of the quality management system
- Provide the Area Agronomist with weekly reports on production and other matters as outlined in the QMS
- Prepare beds, planting, watering, and harvesting, as well as amending the soil, weeding, thinning, and pest and disease prevention and control
Coordinating harvest and delivery of farm producer
- Provide up-to-date harvesting and crop management information;
- Facilitate communications between farmers and the factory for efficient collaboration
- Help farmers form their own organizations in order to achieve economies of scale
- Ensure that Harvesting Projections are met through accurate projection of planting programs, and that any low or high projection based on the day to day running of the blocks under cultivation are communicated to the Area Manager on timely basis .
- Monitor all harvestings ensuring that quantities are as projected with high degrees of confidence.
Reporting and follow up
- Compile Area profile –understanding of the conditions of the particular area as well as the dynamics of change (a description of the farming system, farm types and sizes, market outlets, input supply sources, agro-processors, service providers and successful farmers and rural entrepreneurs situated in the area).
- Compile and analyze data on farm enterprise
- Report on crop performance in liaison with other stakeholders subject to agreed deliverables
- Prepare clear and concise projections and actual supplies reports
- Provide the Agronomist with weekly reports on production and other matters as outlined in the QMS
- Any other duties as maybe assigned from time to time.
- Diploma or equivalent (minimum course duration of two years)
- A drivers license is required
- Two (2) years working experience in agricultural or horticultural production environment
Behavioural competencies Level
- Policy interpretation and implementation
- High level verbal communication skills
- Problem-solving ability Capacity to work independently within a team environment
- Demonstrated networking skills
- Strong report-writing skills
- Experience liaising with growers or farmers
- Knowledge of Safe and Effective Use of Pesticides.
- Knowledge of Integrated Crop and Pest Management.
- Knowledge of auditing practices and principles (Farm Assessments).
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience of related computer applications
How to Apply
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org